• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

2023, Spring Northern Italy part 12

BEERMAN

100+ Posts
April 11-25, 2023

Our very comfortable room at Mira Langhe had a wonderful angle to watch the sun rise. Large windows and balcony were a plus. I was feeling much better this morning, not 100% but very close. We weren't in a terrible rush to depart Guarene, so after another nice breakfast we racked up some steps walking the charming town. It was nice to bump into the couple that rented us their airbnb last September. nice people.

unnamed (17).jpg

In addition to the nice rooms on the second level Mira Langhe has a larger 2 bedroom apartment with kitchen on the lower level that Anna showed us. It has a private entrance with parking. We will consider this option when we can get our daughter back there for a visit. After the tour it was time to say "until we meet again" and thank them for another memorable visit to Guarene. As with most departure days, I walked to the local baker and stocked up on warm focaccia to enjoy on our way to Lake Orta, navigation showed 1 hour 45 minutes.

unnamed.jpg

Nearing our destination, we were an hour early for check in, so we stopped just above the town of Orta San Guilio to have a snack. The Crossroads Pizzeria sits across from the impressive 5 star Villa Crespi. We had noticed a lot of intersection control on our way in and as soon as we arrived the cyclists came racing through, cool!

unnamed (1).jpg

unnamed (2).jpg

We contacted our villa rep and she instructed us on where to meet her, it was within the ZTL but she told us our vehicle info we supplied would permit access. She opened a gated parking garage entrance and drove to a tiny garage door. I had to pull the mirrors in it was so tight! The car thankfully would remain there for 2 days. With the clikety clack of rolling luggage we made our way to the 1600 era building that we would call home. It was hard not to stop along the way, what a beautiful town!

unnamed (15).jpg

unnamed (6).jpg

unnamed (20).jpg

unnamed (7).jpg

unnamed (14).jpg

unnamed (5).jpg

Thanks to DAVID on this site for providing the link to this apartment during our planning stage. DAVID if you're out there I'd be curious to know where you eventually stayed around Lake Orta? The apartment felt large especially with the amazing outdoor covered veranda with large arched windows. We didn't spend an enormous amount of time in the villa, but we would be found on the veranda when there.

unnamed (24).jpg

unnamed (25).jpg

unnamed (9).jpg

unnamed (26).jpg

unnamed (4).jpg

We love lakes and have stayed on a few such as Maggiore, Como, Lugano, Garda and it would be impossible to pick a favorite. We chose Lake Orta, specifically Orta San Guilio, primarily because it's only an hour drive to Malpensa for our flight home. At first glimpse we knew we made a great choice.

We spent the first afternoon and early evening simply walking the narrow streets in close proximity to the villa, which is just one block up from Piazza Motta and the lake. The architecture is incredible! Isola San Guilio is gorgeous sitting just a stone's throw away. Some of the buildings appear neglected, but it's a patina that I'm attracted to, perfectly imperfect!

unnamed (18).jpg

unnamed (16).jpg

unnamed (12).jpg

unnamed (23).jpg

unnamed (19).jpg

We experienced some drizzle in the late afternoon, and we coped with that by having drinks here and there. With nighttime setting in the golden hues of streetlights turned the alleys and Piazza Motta into a romantic setting. We weren't overly hungry, but we found a tiny family ristorante next to our villa. We would be the only non-family here. Many family members would come and go, dogs playing around the few tables (we like dogs!). We asked for a glass of red wine then a house salad for me and lasagna with grilled vegetables for my wife...first time I've ever had a salad with crispy fried egg, burrata and corn like this? it was a nice change actually!

unnamed (13).jpg

unnamed (11).jpg

unnamed (22).jpg

Off to bed fairly early, we had plans for a big finale day...including hike to Sacro Monte di Orta, boat ride to Isola di San Giulio and aimless wandering! Ciao!

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina