• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

5 days in Cotswolds

mismirr

10+ Posts
Hi, we're trying to figure out the best plan for 5 days without a car. We're happy to walk inn to inn but we really don't want to rush it (ie no more than about 7-8 miles a day), and maybe stay in one place one or two nights. Thoughts? As a slow traveler I'm not used to moving this much but there's also a beauty in just mainly walking. Thanks much

You could do the first 5 days of the Cotswold Way, from Chipping Campden to Cheltenham.

The Cotswolds has miles and miles of footpaths. There are many routes you could do.

There are many walking companies who will organise an independent walk for you. They book the inns and give you detailed walking plans.

I have my favorite Cotswolds hikes listed here.

Cotswold Walks had these two suggestions - each involving some different locations as well as different types of moving (one w/ taxis and more stays, for eg). Any pearls of wisdom? I was also thinking of Slaughter but I know I've got to cut stuff out. This is probably TMI but here goes anyway! Thanks
One possibility:
Tue – Arrive in Moreton-in-Marsh and overnight.
Wed – Walk to Stow-on-the-Wold, 7.5 miles and taxi to Bourton-on-the-Water after the walk.
Thu – Taxi to Guiting Power and walk to Winchcombe, 6.5 miles and overnight.
Fri – Walk to Broadway, 9 or 11 miles and overnight for 2 nights.
Sat – Walk to Chipping Campden, 6 miles. Walk a further 3.5 miles to visit Hidcote Manor, or take a taxi. Transfer back to Broadway at the end of the day.
Sun 2nd of July – Depart from the Cotswolds.

Second possibility:
Tue – Arrive in Chipping Campden and overnight.
Wed – Walk to Stanton via Broadway, 10.5 miles and overnight.
Thu – Walk to Winchcombe, 7.5 miles and overnight.
Fri – Walk to Cleeve Hill, 6 miles and overnight.
Sat – Walk to Dowdeswell, 5 miles and overnight in Cheltenham.
Sun – Depart from the Cotswolds.

My comments on the first choice.

I would stay in Stow instead of taxi to Bourton. Bourton on the water is a very touristy town. It would be less crowded when you got there later in the day though. Maybe you could stay in Lower Slaughter instead? It is small but very, very pretty. Stow is also a very nice town.

The rest is a good itinerary.

My comments on the second choice.

This is the Cotswold Way Long Distance Path, which I love. You will run into other walkers doing the trail which is fun. It isn’t crowded at all but it is nice to talk to other walkers.

When you walk from Stanton to Winchcombe you pass Hailes Abbey, the remains of a Cistercian abbey. It is beautiful!

The walk from Winchcombe to Cleeve Hill winds back into the countryside and is beautiful but from Cleeves Hill you can get a bus back to Winchcombe in 10 minutes so maybe stay 2 nights in Winchcombe?

I would do option 2 because it is on the long distance path. It will be fun and you will see a lot. Next year you can return and do the rest!

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina