• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

7 nights stay in charming Italian village close driving distance to Zurich airport

Bellavita

Hello, we are in Switzerland and planning a 7 night getaway down to Italy traveling by car from Zurich from Dec. 15 to December 23rd when we will fly out of Zurich airport. We will rent a home/apartment for 7 nights. Does anyone have recommendations of a charming fun Italian homebase during this time…with easy access driving back to Zurich for a flight on December 23.

Last edited:
Something in northern Italy might work best, since you have to take the train back to Zurich for your flight. How about Como as a base to see Lake Como?

At this time of year cities will be busy with Christmas things but you might consider one of the major cities - Venice, Florence, Rome.

A favourite town of mine is Spoleto in Umbria. It is on the train line.

I know you want Italy, but what about Locarno in the Ticino region of Switzerland? We spent a couple of weeks there years ago and loved the town. You can explore the nearby villages by bus. I’ve been considering staying there again this year.

Something in northern Italy might work best, since you have to take the train back to Zurich for your flight. How about Como as a base to see Lake Como?

At this time of year cities will be busy with Christmas things but you might consider one of the major cities - Venice, Florence, Rome.

A favourite town of mine is Spoleto in Umbria. It is on the train line.
Thank you for your reply. We were just in Lake Como over the summer. It’s not a place we enjoy very much. We’ve lived in multiple parts of Italy. My husband is from Sacile (1/2 hr north of Treviso). We don’t want to go to Venice been there many times and Rome too far. Also been there too many times. We do love, FIrenze we’re thinking it may be a bit too far from Zürich. We also love Spoleto and the entire region of Umbria, where we lived. Oh my, I sound impossible to help We are trying to find a place close to the Swiss border that is charming and enjoyable for Christmas. We may now actually rent a car because we’re feeling a bit overwhelmed with the thought of train and all of our luggage and the inflexibility of being able to come and go as we please.

Last edited:
I know you want Italy, but what about Locarno in the Ticino region of Switzerland? We spent a couple of weeks there years ago and loved the town. You can explore the nearby villages by bus. I’ve been considering staying there again this year.
Thank you for your reply. I have thought about that. We are just so comfortable in Italy and also the fact that it’s euro and our Heritage and language. Ticino is definitely a thought, but we just feel so much more home in Italia. We come to Switzerland often because we must, not out of choice. Italy has and always will be our favorite home but we don’t know the area just over the Swiss border very well. We were thinking Milano would be a bit too chaotic, love and adore and have lived in Liguaria region but perhaps too far from Zürich airport. Do you feel a big Italian vibe in Locarno/Ticino. is everything still in Swiss franc or is Euro used since it’s the Italian area? How about the language & cuisine? Do most people speak Italian in the area? We are in Kreuzlingen right now, but spend most of our time over the border in Konstanz… This is the area of Switzerland we come to frequently both for business and healthcare. we will leave our apartment Thursday or Friday heading back to Zurich by train and going to our chosen 7 to 8 day vacation home before before flying back to US on evening of Dec 23 to see family for Christmas out of Zürich airport. We have to make this decision today because if we rent a car, we’ve must get it rented and we also have to find a place to rent. We had hoped train would be easy but since we are so accustomed to always having a car…we are now leaning toward renting a car. Trying to push ourselves into the adventure of train, but feeling resistance ;-)

Last edited:
Do you feel a big Italian vibe in Locarno/Ticino. is everything still in Swiss franc or is Euro used since it’s the Italian area? How about the language & cuisine? Do most people speak Italian in the area?
People speak Italian, but not everyone. And they use the Swiss money. Cuisine I don’t remember, but i do remember great pizza.

Renting a car might be a good solution. Stay somewhere in the Piedmont? Near Asti? Or even in that part of Liguria west of Genoa? San Remo?

Aosta? It will be snowy but that is a lovely area.

It is very hard to decide and book at such short notice.

After Christmas I have some questions for you about that area near Lake Constance. We go to Switzerland every year and am looking at Appenzell for next year.

Bergamo would be a good option. I loved staying in the upper part of the town. It's a beautiful little city, as Jonathan mentions and not that far from Milano.

Another idea is Bologna. There are many fast train connections from Milano to Bologna. Bologna as a base gives you lots of train travel options to visit nearby towns/cities OR just staying in Bologna for the week, where there is so much to do and see. I haven't checked out all the train connections, but you may find another town/city in the Emilia-Romagna region that also works as a base.

*Edited to add... Parma is another idea. Lots of train options from Milano to Parma.

Last edited:
I generally try to find simplicity in travel, avoiding multiple changes wherever possible.

So looking at the direct trains, Como indeed did look like a practical choice, but as that's a no on its own merits, then I'd be looking at options based on changing at Como, or Milano / changing at Milano.

At that time of year I'd typically lean into cities, as there's less daylight to explore the countryside, and cities give stuff to enjoy in the evening, as well as the day.

Options from a quick look at the map:
- Varese, changing at Como (just under an hour from Como by public transport)... but I don't know it, and what looks appealing to me would be the local parks, hence might be better in Sept/Oct and with a car
- Novara, changing at Milano (train or bus) a charming and under-touristed city. Some good wine regions nearby (Ghemme, Gattinara, etc.), plus in an area where the risotto is excellent. Vercelli offers an easy day trip as well, along with slightly longer options to Ivrea, Biella and Torino (plus Milano itself)

People speak Italian, but not everyone. And they use the Swiss money. Cuisine I don’t remember, but i do remember great pizza.

Renting a car might be a good solution. Stay somewhere in the Piedmont? Near Asti? Or even in that part of Liguria west of Genoa? San Remo?

Aosta? It will be snowy but that is a lovely area.

It is very hard to decide and book at such short notice.

After Christmas I have some questions for you about that area near Lake Constance. We go to Switzerland every year and am looking at Appenzell for next year.
we have decided we will rent a car at Zürich airport, so it’s easy to return on the day of our departure flight. However, we want to keep the drive to approx three to 4 hrs max from Zürich. We don’t enjoy a lot of long travel particularly on flight day. We like to pick one place and keep it as close as possible driving distance for easy return back to the airport. Absolutely love Sanremo and definitely would do that but it’s over a 6 Hour drive from Zürich airport, so not an option in this instance. Especially since we only have From Friday me 15th to Saturday the 23rd. Piedmont/Turin also approximately 5 Hour Dr., which is just more than what we want to take on. Aosta was a small thought but again it’s a 4 Hour Dr. and if we did that we would go to Bergamo instead. Thank you so much for trying to help. I just hope that there was a closer Italian village to call home for our time. It’s sounding like we may have to choose Lugano. We will make our decision and book some thing today. Really had our heart set on back home to Italy but I think it’s just going to be a bit too far for our return travel day. With regard to Lake Constance, we stay in Kreuzlingen both because of that’s where we have business and healthcare but we do nothing socially on the Swiss side. All of our free time is spent walking or driving over the border into Konstanz and the surrounding German area that is more warm and with more of an Italian feel than the Swiss side. Our apartment in Kreuzlingen is by the lake and a five minute walk over the border so most of the time we leave our car parked, unless we go further into the suburbs of Konstanz. It’s important to know we just are not big fans of Switzerland, so we would not choose to stay on the Swiss side if we didn’t have reason to be here, but I always recommend others to choose the German side of Lake. Constance truly depends on personal preference. the German side has lots of amazing restaurants, lounges, and cafés and the people are really great. There’s also Fantastic shopping and incredible grocery stores as we love to cook and that’s also important to us.

How about Bergamo? A lovely, small city, 45’ from Milan by train, with an attractive centro storico up on the hill, and larger, newer outskirts.
Love Bergamo and was thinking about it but still a little bit longer drive from Zürich airport than what we’re hoping. We had hoped to keep the drive to approximately three hours. Bergamo would be a bit over four hours. We will definitely rent a car as we’ve realized train will just be too complicated and inconvenient.

I generally try to find simplicity in travel, avoiding multiple changes wherever possible.

So looking at the direct trains, Como indeed did look like a practical choice, but as that's a no on its own merits, then I'd be looking at options based on changing at Como, or Milano / changing at Milano.

At that time of year I'd typically lean into cities, as there's less daylight to explore the countryside, and cities give stuff to enjoy in the evening, as well as the day.

Options from a quick look at the map:
- Varese, changing at Como (just under an hour from Como by public transport)... but I don't know it, and what looks appealing to me would be the local parks, hence might be better in Sept/Oct and with a car
- Novara, changing at Milano (train or bus) a charming and under-touristed city. Some good wine regions nearby (Ghemme, Gattinara, etc.), plus in an area where the risotto is excellent. Vercelli offers an easy day trip as well, along with slightly longer options to Ivrea, Biella and Torino (plus Milano itself)
I absolutely agree with you, Ian and for this very reason we have decided we will go back to our usual of renting a car. Train will just be too complicated and inconvenient as well as limiting. I am now trying to decide on a homebase within a three hour driving distance to Zürich airport. I will book from December 15 to December 23 so I must find a place today. Thinking of Locarno but really did not want to be on the Swiss side. I don’t know anything about Vesey but it does appear to be approximately three hours and 20 minute drive so that definitely could be a possibility! we want to stay away from Como for sure and the other locations would be fabulous but just too long of a drive. However, once we have our homebase, we can definitely visit the locations you mentioned. Thank you so much for your input.

Let us know what you decide! Last minute bookings are difficult sometimes.
Hi Pauline! So we literally changed everything. One hour ago I rented a car (always paying online prior to pickup) picking up tomorrow in Konstanz and will return it to Zurich airport on December 23. it was very important to us to be within a 2 Hour drive to Zürich airport and I almost booked at Lake Lucerne because of its proximity to Zürich airport, and I found some beautiful rentals there, but since we wanted to get out of Switzerland, our second favorite place (after Italy) is France. I booked a fantastic rental in the Alsace region of France. It’s within the 2 Hour drive to Zürich airport and meets all my high maintenance requests/necessities I always rent last minute and always find beautiful rentals. However, I don’t mind paying more for both the car rental, and the apartment/house. Beautiful well equipped Kitchens and large new bathrooms are very very important to us, as are both washer & dryer, Wi-Fi, TV, satellite, etc. etc. I’ve never had an issue finding last-minute rentals with all of these options but pricing does go up. Planning ahead just doesn’t work for us. I usually search Google for smaller rental European rental companies or owner direct and if I can’t find anything I go to AirBnB or VRBO. If I have a little more time, I sometimes find the exact rental I find on either one of those websites as an independent rental on the web and contact the owner to rent direct to avoid Airbnb fees, but I didn’t have the time, nor the desire to deal with it this time. Overall I’m not a fan of Airbnb as a company so I don’t like giving my money to them, but they sure do make life easy…. So I cave in when I must.

Sounds great! We frequently stay in Colmar in the Alsace, but just for one night as we drive from the UK to Switzerland. I’ve always thought we should stay longer there.

My method of booking is similar to yours. I’m usually trying to add on a week in late September after our Switzerland trip and always run into problems - places get booked while I am deciding or owner can’t get place ready with such short notice.

Have a lovely week!

Sounds great! We frequently stay in Colmar in the Alsace, but just for one night as we drive from the UK to Switzerland. I’ve always thought we should stay longer there.

My method of booking is similar to yours. I’m usually trying to add on a week in late September after our Switzerland trip and always run into problems - places get booked while I am deciding or owner can’t get place ready with such short notice.

Have a lovely week!
That’s great to hear! I haven’t stayed in that region, so it will be a nice change.

With regard to booking last minute… I guess for the most part we’re lucky, but now that you mentioned running into trouble, I have had issues where I fall in love with a particular place and want to book it for 2-3 weeks and overnight it’s gone because someone books one night in the middle of our stay that’s the worst! I did lose a place I was looking at on Lago Maggiore this time, (someone booked Saturday night) but I wasn’t set on the location and there were other comparable alternatives so it wasn’t as much of a heartache as when I’m really in love with one particular spot. Thank you and everyone else for their kindness, patience, advice and guidance. I realize I was a bit difficult to help because I was “all over the place” and difficult to please but everyone’s input did assist in my final decision.

Hoped the OP enjoyed their trip.

Little late to weigh in.

Stayed in both Stresa and Lugano this summer. Loved them both though didn’t get as much sun as I hoped, so for instance I didn’t get to Locarno because I didn’t want to make the day trip unless it was a clear day.

While Lugano was great and I want to visit it and Ticino again, it’s pretty stark the price difference. Not just hotels but something as simple as a cappuccino and cornetto.

Not too surprising, been to Switzerland many times and still have enjoyed my visits there over the years.

Also spent some time in Annecy in recent years, loved it there too.

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina