• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

A Weekend in Bologna

artnbarb

1000+ Posts
My daughter just emailed me to say she'll be traveling for work and might have a weekend to spend in Bologna. Altho Art and I have visited Bologna several times, we've only visited for the day, concentrating mainly on food! (The best meal of our lives was at Hosteria Guisti, thanks to a recommendation from Mario Batali!)

Do you all have any recommendations for her regarding what to see and do, and where to stay? Thanks in advance!

I stayed in a cute apartment there Barb. Not sure if it would be good for just a couple of nights, but if she likes apartments I can get you the link.

In 2014 when I was there, Palma was also (we did a tour together) and she stays here:
http://www.hotel-portasanmamolo.it/

I did not sleep there, but I saw a few of the rooms, and the garden and the breakfast area. Pretty sweet I must say and the owner is super adorable. It is 10-15 minutes walk from the main piazza.

Is she going to go to Modena to eat at Giusti?
Loved Biagi - http://www.ristorantebiagi.it/
Also Sangiovese - http://www.alsangiovese.com/en/index.html
(Sangiovese is down the street from Hotel Porta San Mamolo. Unless something has changed there was a cool little wine bar across the street.)

What to do: look at all the food shops :)

Thank you both. I'm assuming she'll be arriving by train, and centrally located is always a good idea, esp on your first visit. I'll pass your ideas along! I was thinking more Emilia-Romagna when I mentioned Osteria Giusti, so she probably won't make it there. Thanks for the restaurant suggestions too!

My wife and I recently were in Bologna for 6 hours (day trip by train from Ravenna). My favorite sight was the lovely wooden anatomical theater built in 1637 (and restored after WWII bomb damage) in the Archiginnasio. The university was the first to dissect the human body. Supporting the podium roof are wooden figures illustrating human musculature (the "flayed" men). Decorating the walls are sculptures of leading figures in medical history, such as Hippocrates and Galen. The building, built for the university, is now the communal library. Tourist visits to the library are not permitted, but the 3 Euro admission includes one large hall of the library. Along the passage to it are glass cases holding beautifully illustrated illuminated manuscripts from the library's holdings.

Another highlight is the Santo Stefano monastic complex with 3 adjoining sanctuaries.

Attachments

• Teatro Anatomico.JPG
    Teatro Anatomico.JPG
    132.8 KB · Views: 8
  • Santo Stefano.JPG
    Santo Stefano.JPG
    251.5 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina