• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

Advice for mobility scooter travel in Rome

Joe Fessenden

I am taking a trip to Rome with my mother (and a few others) in a couple weeks. I also sent a message over to Rome Addict who is apparently considered quite the expert in this area. My mother is able to get around some (she can walk and even go a few blocks), but I don't want her making the trip so that she'll be catching her breath every moment instead of enjoying it. She doesn't actually use a scooter stateside, here, but there's more getting around by car than there is in Rome.

At this stage I have a few questions:
1) Do you have any recommendations on where I can rent a mobility scooter in Rome? I found a few options online, but it seems that their business models are based on delivering to a hotel lobby, but we are staying in an apartment, so I'm trying to avoid having to wait around for it and miss part of the trip.

2) Do you happen to have a list of things that I need to know for travel in Rome and Italy with a scooter today? We are taking a couple trips that will require a train (Most notably Assisi). Will I need to plan to leave the scooter behind on those? Also, did I read one of the posts from Slow Travel (RIP) correctly that she will be able to get onto some or most of the busses with the scooter?

Thanks everyone! Feel free to tell me anything and everything you think might be useful for me to know.

Hi Joe
The subject came up quite recently and there should be some useful links in here
https://www.sloweurope.com/community/posts/13570/

In particular Rome Addict's travel resource on accessibility should be of great use, but hopefully she'll be able to fill in any gaps / specifics.

regards
Ian

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina