• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

Campania & Amalfi Coast Amalfi Coast - See, Stay, & Eat...

Finding My Italy

A girlfriend and I will be in Amalfi Coast for a week or so at the end of May 2022. Besides Positano and Amalfi what other towns should we visit? We'll be hiring a driver/guide and want to see lovely small villages. Is there any towns that would be best to stay at? I don't want to stay in Positano but thought maybe Praiano but would appreciate any other gems hat would be better.

Amalfi Coast
-what to see/visit?
-where to stay?
-Restaurant recommendations?
-Driver/guide recommendations?

Thank you,
Linda

We stayed in Ravello which is perfect! At an Airbnb. The views from up there were gorgeous and the town with beautiful gardens was a delight. See our trip report!

Catch the Ferry for a wonderful trip to Capri. Also, a Ferry up and down the coast. We always stay in Positano, so it's easy to catch. You can stop all along the way down the coast.

Not villages, but Ischia gives you a nice archaeology walk if you enjoy the history (and relative solitude compared to Capri). If you want to take a shortly longer field trip, the temples at Paestum are amazing.

A girlfriend and I will be in Amalfi Coast for a week or so at the end of May 2022. Besides Positano and Amalfi what other towns should we visit? We'll be hiring a driver/guide and want to see lovely small villages. Is there any towns that would be best to stay at? I don't want to stay in Positano but thought maybe Praiano but would appreciate any other gems hat would be better.

Amalfi Coast
-what to see/visit?
-where to stay?

Thank you,
Linda
A driver isn't essential given the good bus services, but it does open up option such as Paestum, Pompeii/Vesuvius, Herculaneum (which is a lot easier on the feet than Pompeii). Also the chance to head away from the coast for a meal or even arrange a tasting visit to the excellent winery in Furore (Gran Furor / Marisa Cuomo),. In addition it makes visiting Ravello easier as you'd not have the 4 x bus journeys there and back.

Of other places to see, Atrani and Minori have charm and Atrani especially so if it's a really hot day, as it's mostly shaded by the viaduct.

The walking is wonderful, from the short but energetic 20 min hop from Atrani to Amalfi's duomo (or vice-versa), to the pathways of the gods walk that overlooks the coast. A favourite was the valley of the mills walk, and that would be ideal with a car dropping you off at the start point (was it Scala - I can't recall), and you walking downhill through woodland, crossing the stream, then heading back towards the coast on the other side past the historic paper mills (all derelict now), eventually seeing the first houses of Amalfi come into view. There is even a paper museum in Amalfi to leatn about the historic role Amalfi played in bringing paper to Europe.

There is another lovely one out of Ravello, heading inland, but I don't recall it being in the local walking bible - the Tippett guide in the Sunflower series.

I would definitely aim to factor in at least one ferry trip - it's a great way to see the coast.

Atrani is lovely, the smallest town in Italy.

Take a boat trip along the coast, a great way to see the landscapes and beauty is from the sea. A private trip is best, to stop where/when you want, swim if you want, the skippers know great hidden spots along the way.

Vietri sul Mare and Cetara, less visited than on the other side the coast but really pretty and less crowded. Vietri is known for its ceramics. Cetara is a great dining destination, home to the alici in every form including colatura di alici

Ferry or private boat to Capri!~

Thank you all for the comments and suggestions, so helpful. We decided to stay in Sorrento at AirBnB L'Aranceto Sorrentino, hosted by Stefano,Via San Nicola, 33, 80067 Sorrento. Looking forward to seeing this beautiful area.

Grazie mielle
Linda

Last edited by a moderator:
sorrento Is a good choice. You can get the little train (Circum-something) which will take you to either Herculaneum or Pompeii (I prefer Herculaneum if you can only do one—be sure to bring a hat as the sun can be strong). Also, consider Ischia instead of Capri. Capri is a pretty chopping isle. Ischia is more “real.” It has a very cool castle, plus it has Negombo Springs! You pay maybe $35 and enter this incredible natural hot springs area with natural saunas, an Olympic sized pool, and 26 unusual places such as hot and cool lanes to walk through that are supposed to strengthen the muscles. It’s a short ferry ride away from Sorrento. Everything is a short ferry ride away. You don’t need that driver.

sorrento Is a good choice. You can get the little train (Circum-something) which will take you to either Herculaneum or Pompeii (I prefer Herculaneum if you can only do one—be sure to bring a hat as the sun can be strong). Also, consider Ischia instead of Capri. Capri is a pretty chopping isle. Ischia is more “real.” It has a very cool castle, plus it has Negombo Springs! You pay maybe $35 and enter this incredible natural hot springs area with natural saunas, an Olympic sized pool, and 26 unusual places such as hot and cool lanes to walk through that are supposed to strengthen the muscles. It’s a short ferry ride away from Sorrento. Everything is a short ferry ride away. You don’t need that driver.
Thank you for the suggestions, much appreciated. Linda

Thank you for the suggestions, much appreciated. Linda

Amalfi Coast
-what to see/visit?
-where to stay?

Thank you,
Linda
Watch out for the local youth or even local older people who ride the train back and forth between the towns and Pompeii. They may be pickpockets. My husband had his phone taken from his pants pocket when one of them bumped into him walking past. They are very good. Keep your valuables including your phone under your shirt in a waist pocket or else keep a good grip on your phone.
circumvesuviana :)
That’s the one with a lot of pickpockets.

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina