• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

.... and departures

joe

1000+ Posts
Hello everyone -

It's been almost a year since the war broke out here in Israel, and the same amount of time since my last post. I stopped posting here because ever since the war started, all thoughts about travel - including writing about travel - just withered away.

This last year has been an utterly terrible time for the region. Without getting too much into politics, I can only say that I am from the "camp" that believes that a ceasefire should have been declared already, long ago, and that nothing is worth the continuation of this war between Israel and Gaza.
This atrocious situation has also exposed and aggravated the inner domestic conflicts in Israel, and this realization has increased the general feelings of anger, frustration and despair for many in the country. Things will never be the same here again.

My wife and I actually had tickets for Italy for October 10th of last year - but the war broke out on the 7th and alas, that trip was not meant to be. The last time we had traveled abroad was five years before this, so we were really looking forward to that trip - I had already bought airfare nine months before. And while we had hopes that perhaps we would be able to re-schedule for last spring, it soon became obvious that no end to the war was in sight. Although many here in Israel continue to travel and go about as if the war is happening on another planet - and in some respects I can't really blame them - I myself cannot shake this sad mood that has continued to accompany us since last October, and I don't feel like traveling as long as this is the situation.

This Slow Europe forum has been a really nice place for discussing travel, and I can say without a doubt that not only is it a great forum, but also a lovely community of like-minded and friendly people. In this respect I feel that I should've not stopped posting without saying a few words of appreciation and farewell - for in the meantime, unfortunately, it doesn't look like I will be back posting here any time soon.

Therefore, many thanks to Pauline for the establishment of this really great community, and to all the other members who have made this such a friendly and knowledgeable forum for the exchange of first-hand information - and even just pleasant chitchat. I certainly have received good advice here and on the former ST site, and have been inspired by the opinions and great experiences shared. I am sure this will always be a very nice neighborhood to spend some time in.

The Middle East will probably never be completely "normal", but maybe a miracle will occur and some sanity will grace it again.

Good luck to all with your planning and travels, and best wishes.

joe

It's lovely to hear from you again Joe - it's been a long time and we've missed you. I can't begin to grasp what it must have been like for you all in Israel over the last year. Just to say love and prayers with you all and hopefully one day common sense will prevail and bring back peace. Don't desert us completely - do keep posting...

I certainly share your sadness, and for me in particular at the past and continuing suffering of civilians, no matter which side of the border they are, and irrespective of their ethnicity.

I hope you'll excuse me using a rather crude phrase from a video/board game called 'This war of mine'... #fuck the war

That board game is the one that I am most glad I have a copy of. Its focus is not the military combatants. Instead its focus is on ordinary civilians trying to survive, and players are co-operatively trying to aid them in this. It utilises genuine written accounts from the Siege of Sarajevo as the beating heart of the board game, and that makes it both harrowing and moving. Just like the film Schindler's list isn't 'fun', the same is true of this experience. Sometimes we need the insight into such horrors, to better understand them, and to help voice opposition to war / continuation of war.

thank you for your post - I very much appreciated it.

As for posting here without travelling, that's been true of me in recent years - I'm sure I will go back to Italy, but I realised that drive to keep going there, was borne of needing something to look forward to when working. Thus the once or twice a year trips are definitely a thing of the past, as I'm enjoying the day to day much more.

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina
Tuscan Traveler, Living in Italy by Ann Reavis

Back