• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

Help Needed Anyone Been to Greece Lately?

Greece is on my list for 2019. I’ve been looking at Crete but there many great places to go. I saw a recent article by Dana Facaros about Greece.

Sunday Times (UK) - Our expert guide to the Peloponnese
The mainland’s attractions include warrior palaces, sleepy villages and dreamy beaches
By Dana Facaros

I think you have to register to see the article.

Jerry and Paul from ST went to Greece. I remember reading their posts on FB. @Lisa in Ottawa recently went to Crete and liked it.

Hi there.

It was a few years ago but we loved Greece. I had won a short Greek Island cruise and we decided to pair that with a longer stay in Athens. I think my daily posts are still ups on my blog somewhere.

Generally everyone told us to NOT stay in Athens but we decided to rent an apartment and hang out, this was a great decision. Athens was gritty but so fabulous. We filled our days and could have stayed longer. There was just so much to see and do.

The cruise piece was a new experience for us. Generally our time in any one spot was too short. That being said, I would go back to Crete, Patmos, or Rhodes for an extended stay.

Uh, we have spent four weeks on Crete, along with 5 days in Athens, in the past 4 years. Most of our time based in Chania/Hania/Xania with over a week in the east outside Palekastro & a few days in the south in Paleochora. Athens Ok. highly recommend Crete. I can see myself returning to Crete - great views, great people, great food, great prices. I'm a fan of Crete.

We spent three weeks in Greece in 2017. The first week was in Santorini Hotel Keti with great view (see below). Lodging with views is very expensive and we chose Hotel Keti as it was well positioned near central Fira, our own terrace, budget friendly and the view speaks for itself. There are plenty of other more luxuriou$ options available. There are myriad of very good restaurants nearby. We did take the six mile hike across the island from Fira to Oia, and that is highly recommended if you are in reasonably good shape - spectacular views most of the way.

The remainder of our sojourn was with a two week Gate 1 Discovery Tour (small group) which was excellent. We started in Thessaloniki and ended with two days in Athens. Athens was much nicer than I expected and wish we had planned a few more days there on our own. BTW, we stayed at the Electra Metropolis Hotel in Athens and it was fantastic: central location, rooftop free breakfast area with view of Acropolis, and excellent room.

We did enjoy the coastal town of Nafpaktos and the Nafs Hotel . It is a beautiful hotel just across the street from the beach. This is a high end accommodation that is at a very favorable price point. Our tour included three nights on Corfu Island. Corfu was ok but not a place I would go back to. We did not make it to Crete, but favorable reviews by fellow travelers has moved Crete to near the top of our future travel list.

View from Hotel Keti, Fira, Santorini:
1518716372042.png

Last edited:
We have been to Crete twice in the past few years - 2 weeks in each of 2013 & 2017. We also spent 5 days in Athens on our first visit. Crete has been one of our favourite travel destinations. Five days in Athens was plenty for us - but of course others may differ. I am looking into spending a couple of weeks in the Peloponnese either this year or next.

Below is a link to my report on SE of our times on Crete.

https://www.sloweurope.com/community/threads/travellers-on-crete-2013-2017.2727/

Attachments

• IMG_3376.JPG
    IMG_3376.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 16
  • IMG_3757.JPG
    IMG_3757.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 14
  • IMG_3479.JPG
    IMG_3479.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 26
  • IMG_3408.JPG
    IMG_3408.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 16

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina