• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

Apple Airtags - Any Thoughts?

Kathy (Trekcapri)

100+ Posts
I have a trip coming up and as always I plan on checking my luggage. Unfortunately, I'm one of those travelers who can't do carry-on only on these long international trips. Lately, I've been seeing recommendations for these Apple AirTags by other seasoned travelers. According to the FAA, the lithium battery (0.1 grams) is well below the maximum 0.3 grams they allow in a checked luggage, so no worries there.

After the Southwest nightmare, I'm at about 95% sure that I'll get them as an added precaution, but I'm wondering if anyone here has had any experience (good or bad) that you won't mind sharing? Would you recommend them?

The only thing I worry about is my possible obsession in checking every 5 minutes on where my luggage is and not stopping until I can see they are near and on the plane with me. :)

Thank you in advance.

I have 2. One was in my checked bag and one in my cabin bag. I only put one in cabin bag if for some reason I was forced to check it. While I didn't obsess :) I did check the app now and then. It was reassuring to know they were at the airport etc. When I was "stranded" at the Munich airport I knew that my suitcase was still in the airport and didn't go on ahead of me to Boston.
Now that I'm home, I keep one in my car because sometimes I forget where I've parked! LOL

Where are you traveling to??

Mindy

I have 2. One was in my checked bag and one in my cabin bag. I only put one in cabin bag if for some reason I was forced to check it. While I didn't obsess :) I did check the app now and then. It was reassuring to know they were at the airport etc. When I was "stranded" at the Munich airport I knew that my suitcase was still in the airport and didn't go on ahead of me to Boston.
Now that I'm home, I keep one in my car because sometimes I forget where I've parked! LOL

Where are you traveling to??

Mindy
Hi Mindy,

Thanks so much. I think I'll get the 4-pack so I can put one in my check luggage, the other in my cabin bag and the other two for my sister and BIL to put in their checked luggage.

Putting one in your car at home is such a great idea, which I need to share with my sister. She once had to call one of her daughters to pick her up so they could drive around the parking lot until they found her car. I've had a few close calls myself and using an AirTag would definitely give me peace of mind knowing I have back-up. :)

I'm traveling to Italy (Amalfi Coast for a few days and then we fly to Sicily to meet up with other travel friends to go on Shannon's GrapeHops Tour). Looking forward to be back in Italy again.

Hi Mindy,

Thanks so much. I think I'll get the 4-pack so I can put one in my check luggage, the other in my cabin bag and the other two for my sister and BIL to put in their checked luggage.

Putting one in your car at home is such a great idea, which I need to share with my sister. She once had to call one of her daughters to pick her up so they could drive around the parking lot until they found her car. I've had a few close calls myself and using an AirTag would definitely give me peace of mind knowing I have back-up. :)

I'm traveling to Italy (Amalfi Coast for a few days and then we fly to Sicily to meet up with other travel friends to go on Shannon's GrapeHops Tour). Looking forward to be back in Italy again.
Sicily! with Shannon! I went on her tour in 2018? (I've lost all track of time since **you know**) ;) , it was wonderful and I'd love to go back! It is hard to travel internationally without checking a bag although I did mange to do so when I went to The Cotswolds with Kathy Woods, European-Experiences. It was last summer and getting luggage at Heathrow was a nightmare so I decided to go carry-on. Italy last October was a different story, I knew I'd be taking a lot of gifts for friends in Florence and also I knew I'd be buying a lot of fabulous Italian products to bring home. I was lucky that my luggage arrived safely in Florence and (finally) in Boston when I finally arrived!

Safe and fun travels!
M

Sicily! with Shannon! I went on her tour in 2018? (I've lost all track of time since **you know**) ;) , it was wonderful and I'd love to go back! It is hard to travel internationally without checking a bag although I did mange to do so when I went to The Cotswolds with Kathy Woods, European-Experiences. It was last summer and getting luggage at Heathrow was a nightmare so I decided to go carry-on. Italy last October was a different story, I knew I'd be taking a lot of gifts for friends in Florence and also I knew I'd be buying a lot of fabulous Italian products to bring home. I was lucky that my luggage arrived safely in Florence and (finally) in Boston when I finally arrived!

Safe and fun travels!
M
Hi Mindy,

I know, me too. Shannon's Sicily tour sounds amazing, so I am really excited for this trip.

Kudos to your successful carry-on only international trip to the Cotswolds last summer. I understand not being able to do the same for your Italy trip. For me too, where would I pack my Italian wine and Positano ceramic souvenir on my return flight. Ha Ha

Knock on wood, I've been pretty lucky with my luggage. I arrive at the airport at least 3 hours early, I try to find connections with layovers of 4 hours or longer and I try to get either a direct flight or one with just one Stop. Still, I will feel, so much better with an AirTag. :)

Thanks so much. Safe and fun Travels to you in 2023 too!

I’m an Apple aficionado and put the AirTags on my house/car keys, purse, in my car and on our luggage (we are in Jerusalem and like you didn’t want to lug carryons) - I have a small rolling carryon and put one in it. Haven’t had any issues (knock on wood) but feels good to know. And if you’ve misplaced something you can play a sound to track it down…

Does anyone have any recommendations for something similar for Android?
At my wife's prompting I recently got the Samsung Galaxy SmartTag+ (I have the Samsung S22 Ultra and my wife has the Samsung Galaxy Fold 4). We tested it out with her having it in her pocketbook as she drove around doing her errands. It followed her exactly, right down to the store she was in.

There are two versions, the SmartTag ($30) and SmartTag+ ($40). The + model is supposed to be more accurate so for $10 more that's the one I got. We don't take our next trip until mid-April, but I am definitely buying a couple more of these for luggage. And like PokeyMindy (I love that name :) ), I'm putting them in my cars. Not because I forget where I parked them, but for theft reasons.

But let me tell you why my wife prompted me to buy this. My wife works out at her health club Monday through Friday. One week she came home with a story. A member hung her expensive winter coat, a Canada Goose which costs upwards of $1000, on a coat rack instead of in her locker. After working out the coat was missing. Well she had a SmartTag+ in the coat. When she located the tag, it was in someone's locker. She called the police and they recovered the coat. My wife said the police did not arrest the other woman, but needless to say she can't show her face back at the club again.

And BTW, my wife is having second thoughts about me having a tag on her! :D

Last edited:
I am kind of amazed by the coat caper. That really takes nerve!

AirTags seem to be the way to go. Kathy, give yourself permission to check the location on your bags at times when they're heading somewhere, or if they (gasp) are a no-show. Don't let them create more angst over lost bags!

My husband must be Apple's biggest AirTag purchaser. Had he gotten the tag on his bicycle frame before it was stolen I'd have a different story to tell that would feature only a handful of tags and one less bike purchase. But since the theft he has them EVERYWHERE. If "tag-hacking" becomes a thing he's in deep trouble!

A member hung her expensive winter coat, a Canada Goose which costs upwards of $1000, on a coat rack instead of in her locker. After working out the coat was missing. Well she had a SmartTag+ in the coat. When she located the tag, it was in someone's locker.
I just recently read that it's even become dangerous to wear these coats, sometimes - they have become the object of armed robberies :

I am kind of amazed by the coat caper. That really takes nerve!

AirTags seem to be the way to go. Kathy, give yourself permission to check the location on your bags at times when they're heading somewhere, or if they (gasp) are a no-show. Don't let them create more angst over lost bags!

My husband must be Apple's biggest AirTag purchaser. Had he gotten the tag on his bicycle frame before it was stolen I'd have a different story to tell that would feature only a handful of tags and one less bike purchase. But since the theft he has them EVERYWHERE. If "tag-hacking" becomes a thing he's in deep trouble!
Hi Chachalaca,

Thanks so much for your comments. Sorry to hear that your husband’s bike was stolen. I’m going to buy the 4 pack and when I’m not traveling, I’ll put one in my car and the other in my purse. I hope tag hacking doesn’t become a thing too.

I’m an Apple aficionado and put the AirTags on my house/car keys, purse, in my car and on our luggage (we are in Jerusalem and like you didn’t want to lug carryons) - I have a small rolling carryon and put one in it. Haven’t had any issues (knock on wood) but feels good to know. And if you’ve misplaced something you can play a sound to track it down…
Hi Victoria,

Thanks so much for your comments. It does feel good and I am always so thankful & relieved every time I see my luggage come down onto the baggage carousel. I like that we can play a sound to track things down. That would be helpful in situations like that coat stealing gym thief.

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina