• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

Are credit cards accepted at restaurants in the Cotswolds?

LisaMariewrites

Hello,
Our trip to the Cotswolds is coming up very soon! We're so excited but I noticed that in the 2019 Fodor's Essential England book that credit cards aren't accepted at many pubs and restaurants. Is this correct? Thank you for your insight.

That surprises me. We spend several weeks a year in the Cotswolds. We've found that most pubs and restaurants in the Cotswolds accept credit cards (Visa or Mastercard... not AmExp). Occasionally a small tea room doesn't take cards. Also if you just make a small puchase (like two beers), you should pay in cash.

Thanks Kathy! May I ask another question—since Fodor's doesn't seem to be entirely accurate? I read that tipping at a pub isn't necessary but you should offer to buy the bartender a drink. Is that correct? And do we tip at tea rooms, cafe, and restaurants? Thank you for your insight it is most appreciated!

It is unusual to tip in a pub in the UK and isn't expected. Neither is it common practice to offer a bar tender a drink - If every one did they would be too drunk to do their job.... (Don't believe everything you read in the guide books.)

It is usual to leave a small tip (10%) in a restaurant and possibly in an 'upper class tea room' less so in a cafe. Some may have a suacer by the till to add a tip if you wish but no one will look ascant at you if you don't. The tipping culture is more common in America than it is over here.

Thank you, Eleanor. I was surprised by some of the info as the travel books are well respected. And I should clarify that what the book meant by "buy the bartender a drink" was actually paying more than the bill for a tip.

Okay -- I just returned from London and the Cotswolds. I used my Apple Pay (on my Apple Watch, but could use other contactless methods). Even the little co-op grocery store in Chipping Campden, as well as the Lygon Arms Pub/Hotel, took Apple Pay. I used it everywhere in London, too.

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina