• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

Baden-Baden?

Pauline

Forums Admin
We leave in a week driving to Switzerland. I’m putting together a couple of plans for the drive home. At first I thought of 5 nights in Vichy then driving up to Caen to take the ferry. Reading the UNESCO page for Vichy reminded me of another UNESCO spa town, Baden-Baden in Germany.

I had planned a stop there last year but we went straight home instead so I found all my research and this would also be a good option. Lots of walking in town and in nearby forests.

Anyone have any opinions on Baden-Baden?

Marvellous ! I thoroughly recommend Baden Baden to you although not really from memory as I was a girl in my late teens when I visited.
As you love Bath so much you must surely check it out.
I remember it as a beautiful spa town set in superb country side.
Wendy

As we've probably told you in the past, Baden Baden was a frequent first night stop on our roadtrips to Italy throughout the first 2 decades of this century - and we also stopped there on our big roadtrip in December last year. The thermal baths (Google Caracalla-Thermen) are a big plus for us: warm, thermal water, with lots of different water jets in many pools - perfect for easing away driving-related pains. And a super range of saunas (though, in the middle-European style, these are strictly no-costume, so won’t appeal to all!).

In the last decade or so, the whole town seems to have moved upmarket, and now attracts rather a lot of rich Russians… But there's plenty of good walking around. We've normally been heading down through Germany & Switzerland after, so haven’t walked many of the hilly trails - but the Lichtentaler-Allee, running through the centre of town and out to the country, is a nice taste of late 19th-century living (busts of Brahms amid the rose bushes, etc).

Thanks for the input! I added 5 nights in Baden Baden after our 3 weeks in Lenk, putting us there the second week of October.

I’ve planned several times to stop there on a Switzerland trip but it never worked out.

As we've probably told you in the past, Baden Baden was a frequent first night stop on our roadtrips to Italy throughout the first 2 decades of this century - and we also stopped there on our big roadtrip in December last year.

Yes, that’s why I’ve wanted to go there!

I was choosing between Vichy, a smaller spa town in France, or Baden Baden. Vichy next time.

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina
Tuscan Traveler, Living in Italy by Ann Reavis