• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

Cotswolds Best base for 4 nights in Village outside of London?

Ellesee

10+ Posts
Husband has meetings in London May 15-19 and I will be going too. I have booked our flight home on morning of May 25 so we have 4-5 nights to spend in the countryside. But where? I prefer an apt or cottage not an inn or b&b.

We have been to London a few times before, so I’d love a village base with a car. We have done this in Italy, Scotland and France but never England. I wish we had a week. I think Chipping Camden would work? Quieter pretty village walking distance to pub etc. within an hour or so drive of other sites. May walk the paths a bit but I am no great walker.

We will be near Blackfriars in London and dont want to drive out so where is best place to pick up the car?

As always I know our trip will be so great with your suggestions. We have not been anywhere in so long I am giddy and anxious in equal measure.

We’ve picked up rental cars in Bath and Oxford for Cotswolds trips. Oxford is best for the north Cotswolds. The car rental offices are not far from the train station but you may need to take a taxi. They are located in southern Oxford. Oxford traffic can be thick so make sure you leave the city from the southern part, heading west. Do not drive into the center. I remember a bridge where you have to pay a small charge so be sure to have some coins. I think there was a person there to collect the toll.

Chipping Campden is a good base but so are most of the north Cotswolds market towns. We’ve stayed in Broadway and Winchcombe, and in some of the villages. Here is an article about the market towns.

The Cotswolds is a wonderful place to visit. We used to visit every summer, then we moved there for five years! We’ve moved away now but we still go back every year. We will be there next month.

We have several other articles about the Cotswolds.

Do you mean this bridge, Pauline? It cracks me up every time we pass it driving from Oxford to the Cotswolds. I wonder if they collect enough in tolls to pay the toll person?

32786520-687D-4EF4-9590-CED32189C4EE.jpeg

CE6B6273-D381-4D07-B306-2B5D9B43A890.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Would it be unwise to pick up the car at Heathrow? Is the drive from there difficult? I can get a good rate from Avis and there are not many locations outside of big cities it seems.

Also maybe a silly question. I have recently started knitting and as a centre for wool I though I might find some local interesting yarn in the area? Any suggestions?

I am a knitter too! I buy British or French Wool but I buy it online. Let me think about knitting stores.

It is an easy drive from Heathrow. You get onto the M25 circular road quickly, then probably onto the M40 to Oxford and into the north Cotswolds. About 2 hours I think.

Do you mean this bridge, Pauline? It cracks me up every time we pass it driving from Oxford to the Cotswolds. I wonder if they collect enough in tolls to pay the toll person?

That’s the one! I read that it is privately owned so they can make it a toll bridge. Very odd!

For knitting, there was a good shop in Cirencester, run by an American woman, but it closed. There is another one there but it is one of those stuffed to the rafters shops. Ashley’s, 62 Dyer St, Cirencester GL7 2PF

I can’t think of any others.

Online I buy from:

YAK in Brighton.

Tangled Yarn

Pauline we would love to meet up for dinner or tea if our dates and paths overlap. I feel like we owe you and the community so much for making every trip to Europe so much better than it could ever have been otherwise.

I am thinking to take tube to Heathrow and pick up the car. Drive to Bath, walk around, lunch and then head up to a north Cotswold town in the afternoon. How sensible is this? Driving on the left especially in busy towns was not my husbands finest moments, especially on the first day driving. At least we won’t be jet lagged. The roundabouts near Edinburgh nearly did him in, even though he drives a standard car at home. If not Bath then maybe another southern town for the drive out, and then we will focus on the north towns the other days. I will look at the market town notes. Are things pretty much closed down on Sundays?

I like to buy the yarn in person and figured out quickly that the expense of the yarn is nothing compared to the time and effort in the actual knitting so might as well have something really lovely when you are done.

Last edited:
Pauline we would love to meet up for dinner or tea if our dates and paths overlap.
We are in Broadway from May 13 - 20 (leaving that morning). I think we will just miss each other but let’s keep in touch. If you arrive on the 19th we could meet up.

Things are closed Sundays but not everything. Some shops open, supermarkets are open, gardens will be open.

Driving into Bath is difficult. If you decide to do this you could use the Park and Ride north of town. Or there is a car park by the Royal Crescent that is easy to get to from the north. I think I wrote an article about it. If not, I can get you the info.

Other options would be to drive out on the M4, head up into the Cotswolds and stop at Tetbury in the south. Or on the M40 via Oxford and stop in Burford in the east. Both are lovely towns.

For knitting shops, I think you will find them in London. You might come across something in the Cotswolds but they will probably be cheaper yarn for local knitters.

Here is one in London that I’ve ordered from:

I absolutely love Chipping Campden. I love Winchcombe too, but CC is my all time favorite. I have a May trip to Portugal planned, but reading about the Cotswolds makes me want to go there! There are plenty of inviting airbnbs listed there. So many good walks………

There are a lot of holiday rentals in CC. I have a list of local agencies. And we have reviews in the reviews forum.

There are a lot of holiday rentals in CC. I have a list of local agencies. And we have reviews in the reviews forum.

We are booked at Wyncliffe county cottage in Chipping Campden. I love that I can find such great places from your recommendations. It’s always a bit of a leap of faith to book based only on website pictures. I saw the same place on AirB&B but at a much higher rate.

Last edited:
We are in Broadway from May 13 - 20 (leaving that morning). I think we will just miss each other but let’s keep in touch. If you arrive on the 19th we could meet up.

Things are closed Sundays but not everything. Some shops open, supermarkets are open, gardens will be open.

Driving into Bath is difficult. If you decide to do this you could use the Park and Ride north of town. Or there is a car park by the Royal Crescent that is easy to get to from the north. I think I wrote an article about it. If not, I can get you the info.

Other options would be to drive out on the M4, head up into the Cotswolds and stop at Tetbury in the south. Or on the M40 via Oxford and stop in Burford in the east. Both are lovely towns.
Pauline, I'll be back in Chipping Campden again with Kathy's group July 16-23rd. **wink wink nudge nudge** :) :snailorange::dancingcow::blushing:

I had to cancel our trip to the Cotswolds next week! I am still not well enough for a hiking trip. I feel fine but I just run out of energy quickly. So I decided to stay home. I’ll put your dates in my calendar Mindy. Here’s hoping! Would love to see you again.

I had to cancel our trip to the Cotswolds next week! I am still not well enough for a hiking trip. I feel fine but I just run out of energy quickly. So I decided to stay home. I’ll put your dates in my calendar Mindy. Here’s hoping! Would love to see you again.
what a bummer that you're not up for your Cotswolds trip. Good though that you listen to your body and not overdo anything! Yes, it would be a blast to see you and Steve again! :)

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina