• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

Bonjour from the Lot in SW France!

I have some definite thoughts on this, Dana. I think people depend so much on the web now for hotels, vacation rentals, and restaurants (which change so quickly now in popularity) that you should concentrate on "history, culture, food, wine, art and the places." If I want to know where to eat, I turn to Chowhound, whereas we depended -- and still do --on your books for the wonderful insight you and Michael provide into places and their history.
BTW, we didn't make it to Puy l'Evêque this time, although we did return to Cahors and to Figeac, which we especially love. Next time we're in the SW, probably our favorite part of France, I'd like to stay in/near Puy l'Evêque.

... we are trying to decide whether we should just concentrate on history, culture, food, wine, art and the places and maybe less (a lot lot less) on hotels and restaurants ...
Yes, for all the reasons that you go on to mention, I think the more independent-minded traveller (like all of us here ;)) tends to go to forums like these for up to date info on restaurants and accommodation. But a good guidebook can provide history, context - all those things that don't date, but that need more space to cover adequately than can be fitted into a forum post (or even a blog page).

Yes, for all the reasons that you go on to mention, I think the more independent-minded traveller (like all of us here ;)) tends to go to forums like these for up to date info on restaurants and accommodation. But a good guidebook can provide history, context - all those things that don't date, but that need more space to cover adequately than can be fitted into a forum post (or even a blog page).
Totally agree, Jonathan!

I have some definite thoughts on this, Dana. I think people depend so much on the web now for hotels, vacation rentals, and restaurants (which change so quickly now in popularity) that you should concentrate on "history, culture, food, wine, art and the places." If I want to know where to eat, I turn to Chowhound, whereas we depended -- and still do --on your books for the wonderful insight you and Michael provide into places and their history.
BTW, we didn't make it to Puy l'Evêque this time, although we did return to Cahors and to Figeac, which we especially love. Next time we're in the SW, probably our favorite part of France, I'd like to stay in/near Puy l'Evêque.
Hi again Ann, as a big fan of the Lot, I thought you might like this (or maybe you've already been? It's one of our favourites!): http://tasteslikeatomato.blogspot.fr/2013/10/ducking-down-at-la-serpt_25.html

Oh my goodness, Dana, I may have to open one of my few remaining cans of confit tonight. No, we haven't been to La Serpt, but it looks like our kind of place. Maybe I'll have to do a salad with gésiers too! The girl from Tennessee doesn't look like the photos of you I've seen???
I know Daglan is over the border into the Dordogne, but here's a blog you might enjoy, especially since the author is REALLY into food: http://loren24250.wordpress.com/.

Dana, I also agree with you, Ann, and Jonathan about the best direction for your books, for all the reasons you've stated. The strength of your books, I've always thought, is the terrific writing and in-depth information.

By the way, for anyone with an Apple device, I just saw that you can download the new humor book Dana mentioned (Traveller's Guide to Hell) free right now on the iBooks store.

Oh my goodness, Dana, I may have to open one of my few remaining cans of confit tonight. No, we haven't been to La Serpt, but it looks like our kind of place. Maybe I'll have to do a salad with gésiers too! The girl from Tennessee doesn't look like the photos of you I've seen???
I know Daglan is over the border into the Dordogne, but here's a blog you might enjoy, especially since the author is REALLY into food: http://loren24250.wordpress.com/.
Ah non, that girl from Tennessee is Nancy. She and her husband spent a month in Puy l'Evêque eating out—and La Serpt was their favourite—-that's how good it is! And thanks so much for the Daglan blog; it looks like good fun. Daglan is just up the road—we must have driven through it a hundred times on the way to somewhere else. M and I never thought there was anything there. This is a good chance to find out its secrets!

Dana, I also agree with you, Ann, and Jonathan about the best direction for your books, for all the reasons you've stated. The strength of your books, I've always thought, is the terrific writing and in-depth information.

By the way, for anyone with an Apple device, I just saw that you can download the new humor book Dana mentioned (Traveller's Guide to Hell) free right now on the iBooks store.
Thanks, Roz! And yes indeed, the guide to Hell is free for the next three weeks or so on the iTunes store...in the hopes of getting some good reviews and 'traction' and all this other social media stuff we're not very good at. So please download, and spread the word to anyone else who might enjoy it! We had great fun writing it and updating it (in fact, we're still slightly singed!).

Thanks, Roz! And yes indeed, the guide to Hell is free for the next three weeks or so on the iTunes store...in the hopes of getting some good reviews and 'traction' and all this other social media stuff we're not very good at. So please download, and spread the word to anyone else who might enjoy it! We had great fun writing it and updating it (in fact, we're still slightly singed!).
Just saw that The Traveller's Guide to Hell is also free right now on the Kindle store -- for anyone who doesn't have a device with iBooks. Link here.

I was reading this while waiting in a doctor's office this afternoon and people kept looking at me because I couldn't stop laughing.

Dana, great to "meet" you! I just purchased your Italian Menu Decoder. I know it will come in very handy on my next trip to Italy! (Oct. 9, 2014) :) While I think I'm familiar with most of the more common food items, I know this will come in handy. I don't want to end up with a fish head on my plate, LOL

Oh wow, we have several of your guides. One of my treasured possessions is your Bologna- Emilia Romagna book. It is dog-eared from use, and I am ashamed to say, I refuse to loan it out for fear of not getting it back!

Dana, great to "meet" you! I just purchased your Italian Menu Decoder. I know it will come in very handy on my next trip to Italy! (Oct. 9, 2014) :) While I think I'm familiar with most of the more common food items, I know this will come in handy. I don't want to end up with a fish head on my plate, LOL
Nice meeting you too, Pokey, and thanks for buying the app! There are even stranger things out there than fish heads- the one I still can't get my head around is teutenne.

Oh wow, we have several of your guides. One of my treasured possessions is your Bologna- Emilia Romagna book. It is dog-eared from use, and I am ashamed to say, I refuse to loan it out for fear of not getting it back!
Hi Susie, yes poor old out of print Bologna-Emilia Romagna, the first guide we hope to release as an ebook—although just spoke two days ago to a former editor of Cadogan who now works at Bradt (another small travel publisher in the UK) and is trying to get a sponsor ship deal with someone in Italy to redo them in print. We'll see!

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina