• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

Cathedral of Monreale Sicily

Frank Gerace

10+ Posts
I got to this after a while. I'm glad I did. I relived the trip.

The Cathedral of Monreale

Just a few miles outside of Palermo, Sicily, The Cathedral of Monreale is spectacular.

You can get there easily by taking the 389 bus from Palermo’s Piazza Independenza. You go through the Porta Nuova. The name tells us something about the depth of history in Sicily. The “New Door” was put up in 1536.

The bus leaves you off a short distance from the cathedral. As you walk up the hill, take the opportunity to see Palermo and the sea below you.

DSCN4002 (2).JPG

The cathedral was built after three hundred years of Saracen rule. The resulting architecture and art has the solidity of the Norman (who let us not forget were Germanic) and the intricacy and detail of the Islamic inspired mosaics.

DSCN4020.JPG

Before we go in, look at the statue of the patron of the cathedral, the Norman King William II who is portrayed dedicating his work to Mary.

DSCN4026.JPG

Everything about the Cathedral of Monreale is special. Start with the massive bronze doors. They were done in 1179. It is worth searching for "doors monreale cathedral" to get the history and close-ups of the biblical scenes in each of the panels.

DSCN4008 (2).JPG

The simple renderings might look like caricatures to our photography spoiled eyes but just think that were done in bronze not pencil and paper. Check them out one by to see the detail much better than with my photo.

Here is one by courtesy of the Educational Technology Clearinghouse University of South Florida. The “Arca Noe”. Noah’s Ark.

monrealedoor.jpg

Inside, take our time to admire the mosaics. The interior has over 68,000 square feet of mosaics. Remember that the amazing detail comes from thousands of pieces of colored glass. We can barely finish a jigsaw puzzle but these artists created with the small pieces. A thousand years later, we admire the Pointillists who had is easy just dabbing with a brush. The mosaic artist of Monreale had to make the glass, break it into “tesserae” the pieces and fix them in cement,

DSCN4019.JPG

DSCN4021_02.jpg

The whole interior is covered in mosaics but the central focus of the artist and the devout congregants was and is the altar. It glows in stunning gold tones with the Byzantine image of Christ the Pantocrator.

Christ Pantocrator.jpg

Besides the obvious focus on Christ for these devout Christians, the walls in the church are covered with mosaics of apostles, saints, and stories from the Old and New Testament.

The wooden beams of the ceiling are not original. They were replaced in 1811 after a fire. It was done masterfully and adds to the grandeur of the overall impression.

DSCN4023.JPG

The view from the Cathedral is a treat and worth the trip up to the windows.

The cloister, a beautiful perfectly square courtyard, is a paradise of images and artistry. With the added benefit of being outside in a bright sunny garden.

The visitor is amazed by the columns filled with mosaics and the intricately carved capitols. The mosaics of all the columns are different.

DSCN4032.JPG

DSCN4034.JPG

Before heading back to Palermo, visit the small town with its food vendors right in the piazza in front of the Cathedral.

DSCN4040.JPG

DSCN4000 (2).JPG

DSCN4021_02 (2).jpg

DSCN4050.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
I visited the Cathedral 18 months ago and it was the highlight of my trip to Sicily. The inside is wonderful.

Thank you for this post. It motivated us to spend a morning in Monreale. Lovely town and the cathedral is truly stunning.

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina