• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

Help Needed Caves of El Castillo, Puente Viesgo

TheoJ

We are travelling to San Sebastian in early July (grand daughters soccer tournament) and I discovered a lifetime dream, to view and visit Palaeolithic cave art in Cantabria. Has anyone visited and could they offer any suggestions to a day trip? I understand it is a 3 hour travel by car from San Sebastian. Any help or suggestions would be so appreciated! Thanks

We visited El Castillo and Tito Bustillo (in Ribadesilla) caves and found them both to be very worthwhile.

Tito Bustillo in my opinion had better-defined and more representative naturalistic cave art.

The setting and trip into el Castillo was more evocative and adventurous. There are some large animal depictions but much more symbolic art (dots, hands, lines etc). I can attest to slippery floors!

Bustillo has an age restriction of no younger than 7 years; el Castillo doesn't have any if you are thinking of taking your grand daughters. Tickets for both can be purchased on-line. We went in the spring and found no need to do an advanced purchase. Summer may be different.

The cave at Altamira is closed to the general public. The interpretive centre is well-done and the facsimile cave is said to be an exact replica of the real one, only with a smooth linoleum floor! You purchase tickets for specific times and enter with guides here too. Although the most famous, my vote is for the other two, especially only with limited time.

Thank You! We intend on visiting and I'll look into Tito Busstillo. The facsimile caves are interesting too. The latest scientific opinions theorize some of the art could be Neandertal.
Has anyone made this journey from San Sebastian?

It would be a very full day with logistical problems regarding timing entries to attempt to visit Bustillo and Castillo. Perhaps more doable would be Altamira in the morning and El Castillo in the afternoon with lunch in Santilla del Mar. (around 45 minutes between Altamira/Santilla and El Castillo)

The Autovia (A8) is a divided well-travelled highway. If time permits, a more leisurely approach with an overnight in Ribadesilla, there are many sights, natural and man-made along the way. An early example of Gaudi's work is in Comillas and there are also many fine beaches and seaside towns.

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina