• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

Cell phone in Croatia

Colleen

10+ Posts
I leave in less than a month for fhe first GrapeHops Croatia tour! :cat:

I'm planning to keep in touch with family via email while I'm away, but wanted the option of a cell phone for emergencies. I talked to a Verizon representative today, and she recommended purchasing a Croatian SIM card upon arrival. My iPhone is unlocked already (she said if I bought it from Apple or Verizon it was unlocked) so I should be able to buy a SIM card at any phone store and have them swap it out.

I will let you know if it works as expected!

She also recommended the WhatsApp messaging app for texting internationally. I just downloaded it to test - it looked at the contact list on my phone to see who has the app installed. (Only about 10 of my contacts are using it.) http://www.whatsapp.com/

I would check that the phone is unlocked. Try someone's SIM card in it before you leave. I have not heard that iPhones are always unlocked.

Wasn't WhatsApp just bought by Facebook for some huge amount of $$?

It may depend on when you bought the Verizon iPhone. I bought mine in fall of 2011 and I had to have Verizon help me through the process of unlocking it. I know newer phones are supposed to be unlocked, but I'm not sure when the change was made.

Sorry I doubted you Colleen! Being so up-to-date techwise, I would have thought I would know this (or at least Steve would have told me). I use a Nokia Windows phone - I wonder if it is unlocked?

My information is still to be tested!
I arrive in Dubrovnik next Wednesday and should have an update on Thursday.

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina