• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

Christmas Markets in South Tyrol

Sara

10+ Posts
This is a trip I took 5/6 years ago, but I guess it would be an interesting read given the fact it’s Christmas time.
I have friends in South Tyrol (known in Italian as Alto Adige), who invited me to have a look at their traditional Christmas Markets. Nowadays you can find the Christmas Markets basically everywhere in the country, but those in South Tyrol were absolutely the first, given the region’s ties to the “German” culture.

During the festivities South Tyrol hosts several markets in most of its towns; the so-called “original South-Tyroler Markets“ though are just five and during my stay there we decided to make some sort of tour and visit them all.

I arrived in Bolzano, the capital of South Tyrol, with a Trenitalia train leaving from Veneto (where I live). If you travel from the South, you can catch Trenitalia or Italo trains directed toward Bolzano or Brennero or DB / OBB trains directed toward Munich (they usually stop in Bolzano). The closest airports are those in Innsbruck and Verona.
I didn’t stay in a hotel, as I was a guest at my friend’s, but I know for sure that if you stay in a hotel you are granted a guest card that allows you to travel for free with the public transportation system in the whole region (trains, bus, cableways etc.)

1st DAY - BOLZANO'S CHRISTMAS MARKET

The first day I stayed in town and visited the first original market, the Bolzano’s one, which is the largest of South Tyrol.

23590400174_39fa3b37cf_w.jpg

For a big part, it takes place in Waltherplatz, the main square of the city and seat of the city’s Dom, characterized by a majestic roof made of green, black and ochre tiles that form a peculiar pattern.

The piazza takes its name after the monument dedicated to Walther von der Vogelweide, the greatest medieval poet and minnesinger of the German language allegedly born in South Tyrol.

24136050151_094bff666a_w.jpg
23591819563_7d83dd2b31_w.jpg

24192520556_627ee88c52_w.jpg

Near the piazza there was a building of the Public Administration that served as an Advent Calendar during the Festivities!

The city centre is quite small and one can walk though it quite easily and enjoy all the Christmas decorations in all freedom.

23591807673_5bf0b00dae_w.jpg

These decorations, for instance, were really pretty and they hanged from a historical hotel/restaurant near Piazza delle Erbe, where the local vegetable market takes place.

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina