• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

Countryside base in Emilia Romagna

Kportgrl

10+ Posts
We are going to be in Italy in May and plan to spend about a week exploring the Emilia Romagna region. Instead of city hoping between Bologna, Modena, Parma etc., we thought it might be nice to find a base in the country. Looking for specific recommendations of wonderful accommodations (farm stays, ideally with some kitchen facilities). Thanks!

The only one we've stayed in didn't have kitchen facilities, though checking the website they say they've got barbecues and also will provide plates, cutlery etc. allowing you to eat in the same areas they serve breakfast.

The location is south of Bologna, and Rastignano, isn't great for where you ant to explore and itself isn't something to get too excited about, but Pianoro further south was a bit more interesting to us. It is on a bus route into Bologna if you want a no car day, plus they had bikes that were free to use, which we used to cycle to the truffle festival in Pianoro.

So my gut feeling is it's probably not the right place, as the location isn't convenient for exploring along via Emilia, and the lack of a physical kitchen may be an annoyance)

Well worth a browse of www.agriturismo.it if you haven't already

T
The only one we've stayed in didn't have kitchen facilities, though checking the website they say they've got barbecues and also will provide plates, cutlery etc. allowing you to eat in the same areas they serve breakfast.

The location is south of Bologna, and Rastignano, isn't great for where you ant to explore and itself isn't something to get too excited about, but Pianoro further south was a bit more interesting to us. It is on a bus route into Bologna if you want a no car day, plus they had bikes that were free to use, which we used to cycle to the truffle festival in Pianoro.

So my gut feeling is it's probably not the right place, as the location isn't convenient for exploring along via Emilia, and the lack of a physical kitchen may be an annoyance)

Thankyou Ian. I will look at it and the agriturismo cite. I think I had browsed? But will go back and check.

Sawdays aka Special places to stay is another source worth a look, rarely with that many places, but with a strong lean towards the real/quirky i.e. opposite end of the scale to modern hotels. Just 5 listed, but they look to be in keeping with the Sawday's ethos, which prioritises charm over facilities.

Here's a thread I posted 4 years ago with various resources than can help find an agriturismo. Some may be outdated. I haven't stayed in an agriturismo in the area you are researching, but I have stayed at quite a few in other regions. Never been disappointed - on the contrary, this is our preferred way of accommodation - and it is worth devoting some time to find one that suits your needs best. Your problem will probably be to choose which one....
BTW one of the most easiest ways to see the large number of options is just to open Google Maps to the area you are researching, and to type "agriturismi" in the search bar. Good luck.

We have stayed at Podere Prasiano, an agriturismo several times. Located in the hills 30 minutes from Modena and Bologna, we found the area beautiful with lots to do. Parma is an hour or so away. Emanuela and Massimo, the proprietors were extremely friendly, attentive and interactive. The food was delicious, breakfast was included and dinner is available (half board) most days. Lots to see in this lovely area. But, no kitchen available. https://www.podereprasiano.com

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina