• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

Destination search!

chachalaca

100+ Posts
Okay ST/SE friends, we are looking for ideas for our first post-covid trip to France. Americana has put Collioure on our short list. I have searched the forums and the area around Nyons (or even in Nyons) is coming in a close second.

We have stayed both in and outside of small villages and both have their allure. We only have summer time to travel, so for 2024 that means maybe the last week of June and all of July. Family obligations at home realistically mean a three + week trip these days.

What we enjoy: being somewhere and establishing routines, markets, local shops, local food and wine. My husband brings his bike and pedals his heart out. I love to mill around wherever we are and swim (I'm not going to lie, a pool would be amazing). The blue provencal sky and that Mistral wind tells us we're on vacation!

What we need in a rental: a dedicated bedroom, outdoor living space (patio/balcony/garden), a washing machine and a simple kitchen. Anything else is a bonus! We enjoy landlords that are nearby/share the property as well as those that aren't. We prefer a village where we can walk for coffee, the bar, a restaurant or two...

We often book a place for long term, then do overnights in places that are nearby (Bandol, Cassis, Uzes), it is often cheaper that way and allows us to travel lightly.

Tell me a favorite spot and why you love it! I really enjoy this part of travel and appreciate the time you all put into answering everyone's questions. So thank you in advance!
Laura

Last edited:
When we stayed in Vaison la Romaine (written about by us and several others here) we went up to Nyons several times during their market days. We really liked it (really good olives among other things). Of course, Vaison la Romaine is only 11 miles away and we liked it very much.

Thanks, Steve. I've seen the Vaison write ups. We've stayed near Vaison, on an olive orchard, and it was lovely. Staying in the village would've been more convenient to be sure. When was your most recent trip to Nyons? Ours, just a day trip, was at least 8 years ago. I'm wondering if it's still charming. I really appreciate your post!
Laura

We were in Nyons last September for a day trip from Sablet, near Vaison. Still charming.

I’ve wanted to go to Collieure. You could explore into the Pyrenees from there and even into Spain. The area seems pretty interesting.

Have you decided yet?

From last years trip report for our short trip to Nyons.

>> From Orange we drove north east to Nyons (45 minute drive), another town I’ve wanted to see. It is over the border of Provence, in the Auverge-Rhône-Alps. The area around Orange is the Rhone River valley and is flat. The Rhône River starts in the Swiss Alps, goes through Lake Geneva then down through France to the Mediterranean. Nyons is in the mountains.

It took us two tries to find a parking spot! This whole week has been easy for parking but Nyons was full.

We went to the tourist office where I learned (or re-learned because I must have known this at one time) that a Pont Roman is not an Ancient Roman bridge which is a Pont Romain. So the bridge in Nyons is medieval (1400s) not Roman. Still we looked at it. The bridge in Vaison is Ancient Roman.

We had a good walk around the old town area, sitting on a bench to have our sandwiches and stopping for a coffee at the end of the walk. It is built on a hill, so lots of climbing. We stopped at the Chapelle Notre Dame which is a old tower with a top added in the 18th century, then it was turned into a church. It stands high up overlooking the town. Small but dramatic.

It was only 30 minutes to drive home. We drove through lots of olive groves around Nyons - this is an olive oil area - but it soon turned back to vineyards. <<

Thank you Steve and Pauline! No, we haven't decided. I'm kind of asking myself why I don't even have a remote idea of where to begin. Usually we have a loose plan for "next time" at the end of our stay. Perhaps we're out of practice since we haven't been anywhere (other than driving across the Canadian border) since pre-Covid.

One concern I have is that next year the summer Olympics are in France. I've checked out the venues that are outside of Paris and their surrounding areas that are likely to be super busy - these are areas & airports that I'd like to avoid. Unfortunately we only have summer time to travel, since we're both teachers.

I keep reading how Americans in Europe is up by 55% this summer and can only imagine that next summer will be same same same.

Down near Collioure is the small village of Ceret which has big shady squares, a Picasso Museum, and village pool. Of course there are properties with pools… access to the canal du MIDI, to Carcassone, Narbonne, Spain and yes, even Barcelona. Even though I live in the Luberon and love it, Ceret has always had an attraction for me.
Our villlage, Goult, would definitely serve your needs as might Gordes which in my mind is a bit snobby….if you can enjoy hills we have Bonnieux, Menerbes, Roussillon, etc in the valley. There is also a fabulous dedicated bike path that starts in Cavaillon and goes way east, I think over 50 miles.
There are also some cute flatland villages like Les Taillades, Robion, Cabrieres, Isle sur la Sorgue ( Town size but really cool), Lagnes, Fontaine de Vaucluse…the department is the Vaucluse which is 84. Goult & Gordes are 84220 zip codes if that helps. Lots of visitor videos on YouTube!

If you choose Languedoc it would be very easy to use Barcelona as your arrival airport to avoid Paris & Marseille or Lyon or Nice.
Ceret is in 66400 near the Spanish border, tilted east looking over the vineyards.

MaisonRose! Thank you so much! You've given me much needed places to begin. We love the Vaucluse and certainly like the sound of Ceret. I just need a cold, rainy day to hunker down and research away!

Quick Q: I found what looks like a good place in Menerbes; has the Peter Mayle craze ended? Would a village this small be a good stay for a week or so?

Again, Merci!
Laura

Yes, Menerbes is fine, a bit tiny but has services. Key: ask about parking convenience as Pkg is spare and could cause an issue. The key to a village: does it have a year round bakery. A cafe? An epicerie? Menerbes has good cultural events.

Down near Collioure is the small village of Ceret which has big shady squares, a Picasso Museum, and village pool. Of course there are properties with pools… access to the canal du MIDI, to Carcassone, Narbonne, Spain and yes, even Barcelona. Even though I live in the Luberon and love it, Ceret has always had an attraction for me.
Our villlage, Goult, would definitely serve your needs as might Gordes which in my mind is a bit snobby….if you can enjoy hills we have Bonnieux, Menerbes, Roussillon, etc in the valley. There is also a fabulous dedicated bike path that starts in Cavaillon and goes way east, I think over 50 miles.
There are also some cute flatland villages like Les Taillades, Robion, Cabrieres, Isle sur la Sorgue ( Town size but really cool), Lagnes, Fontaine de Vaucluse…the department is the Vaucluse which is 84. Goult & Gordes are 84220 zip codes if that helps. Lots of visitor videos on YouTube!
You live in Goult? I’m so envious! I have stayed there four times, for a total of 8 weeks, and I adore it. It’s the perfect size, with all the best of the Luberon, but without all the tourists.

Hi,
Obviously I love Goult & happily bought my house 23 years ago. We spend almost six months a year here. Did you know that Cafe de la Poste has a competitor right next to it? It’s called Le GOULTOIS.
I met Pauline here a couple of years ago: she really gets around. Recently I spotted Ina Garten & Jeffrey in Le Goultois, during Thursday market..it was two years ago, I think.
Yes, Goult is a very popular place for visitors even though the village voted not to seek fame! I think it’s been in several French movies. September is a good time to visit if you can avoid the summer months.

Hi,
Obviously I love Goult & happily bought my house 23 years ago. We spend almost six months a year here. Did you know that Cafe de la Poste has a competitor right next to it? It’s called Le GOULTOIS.
I met Pauline here a couple of years ago: she really gets around. Recently I spotted Ina Garten & Jeffrey in Le Goultois, during Thursday market..it was two years ago, I think.
Yes, Goult is a very popular place for visitors even though the village voted not to seek fame! I think it’s been in several French movies. September is a good time to visit if you can avoid the summer months.
I‘ve been in Goult in May, June, and October, and it is nice when the area isn’t so crowded, but I do love the evening market in Coustellet. I saw le Goultois when we drove through Goult last month to show our granddaughter where she celebrated her 2nd birthday. Our plans didn’t allow us time there on that trip, but at least I got to drive through my favorite village.

Here are some of my favorite:

Collioure is a charming town on the Mediterranean coast with a colorful old town, a beautiful harbor, and stunning views of the surrounding mountains. My favorite spot in Collioure is the Chapelle Notre-Dame-de-la-Consolation, a small chapel perched on a cliff overlooking the sea. The chapel has a beautiful bell tower and a peaceful garden, and it's the perfect place to enjoy the views and take in the atmosphere of Collioure.

Bandol is a seaside town with a lovely harbor and a thriving wine industry. My favorite spot in Bandol is the Plage de Renecros, a beautiful sandy beach with clear blue water. The beach is perfect for swimming, sunbathing, and water sports.

Cassis is a cliffside town with stunning views of the Mediterranean Sea. My favorite spot in Cassis is the Calanques National Park, a protected area of limestone cliffs and coves. The park is a popular destination for hiking, swimming, and kayaking.

Uzès is a medieval town with a beautiful historic center. My favorite spot in Uzès is the Place aux Herbes, a charming square lined with cafes and restaurants. The square is a great place to people-watch, enjoy a meal, or simply relax and soak up the atmosphere.

I hope you enjoy visiting these beautiful towns in France!

Due to a sneak attack by CoVid I haven't been doing my homework. I'll get on it soon, though. Feeling better every day and so thankful for the vaccine.

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina