• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

Discover cars

cmd

10+ Posts
We are going to Verona for a week during the Christmas season. Flying into MXP. Has anyone rented a car with Discover Cars? Their rates are well below other options. Usually we rent with Kemwel or AutoEurope.
thank you in advance.

I have never rented from this company. The recent reviews on Trustpilot are really mixed, they range from -

Amazing company and everything was easy…

and

Great customer service

to

Con Artists

and

Robbed!!

https://www.trustpilot.com/reviews/6362b7e4b84cc27618e06277
If I was going to rent a car for the Christmas holiday, the last thing I want is a problem to spoil the festive season. I'd pay a little extra and go with a company I've used and can rely on.
I am also noticing that the rates are a bit different on AutoEurope.com vs. Autoeurope.eu. Also the eu site shows more options of rental companies to choose from.

Check for differences in cancellation charges and insurance options/costs, location of car rental agency (on airport or off site). But I would be equally interested in which rental agency your car is provided by. The broker (Autoeurope, Discover car, etc.) is only as good as the actual car provider you are assigned to (Europcar, Avis, Sixt, Maggiore, etc.).

I have also come across a auto rental company called Locauto. It has mixed reviews (they all do!). What seems good about this one is that an app can be downloaded which allows one to skip the rental counter completely and go directly to where the car is parked and drive off. After spending hours at rental counters (Sicily by Car comes to mind), this seems attractive!
Https:/www.locautorent.com

Last edited:
I am also now researching rentals for next year, so I checked this company, Discover. Prices were indeed a bit lower for same car, but nothing significant. Also, pick-up and drop-off at MXP, for example, entail you being shuttled off to their location, just outside of the main terminal, but not at a reasonable walking distance. Not something I'd like to be dependent on.
The providers they stated for most, if not all, of their cars, are small companies I've never heard of. Not necessarily a bad thing, but still....

The funny thing about car rental companies is that all of them get poor ratings, if you check, for example, the reviews on Google Maps. All below 4 and the average is around 3. If this is a true mirror of the real-world situation, then they have a lot to do to improve. The stories of complaint seem legit, and many seem to clearly be the companies' fault.
Our past two trips I've booked with Europcar, and can't recall having any significant problems. Prices were reasonable for zero deductible, and service was fine. But Europcar gets a 3.3 rating on Google Maps when checking their MXP location.

Europcar has been my provider of choice in Rome, FCO, though not always the cheapest. For stays of 3 weeks or more, the Peugeot/Renault/Citroen lease-buyback program at MXP is probably hard to beat.

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina