• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

Edinburgh to London by train

artnbarb

1000+ Posts
I'm finally starting to think about the details of our trip in August to Scotland and London. My daughter found a reasonable train fare for her journey from London to Edinburgh, and I'm tempted to take the train going from Edinburgh to London - we're staying very close to the train station and it would be much less stressful than flying.

It's been years since I've booked train travel in Great Britain, and now many of the lines are privatized, so I'm wondering how to know what my options are, if any. Thanks.

It appears that we can travel from Edinburgh to London (Kings Cross) in about 4 1/2 hours for a cost of $55 each. Way less stress than flying, and we're staying right across the street from the train station in Edinburgh. For the time it would take us to take the tram out to the airport, then go thru security, then sit around until take-off, we'll be half the way (or more! ) to London.

AND..... I booked an extra night in London - we're now staying 4 nights, which is still too short a visit, but I think it'll be okay. The AirB&B had the extra night free, so it was meant to be!

Yes, booking in advance works very well for tourists, as setting the day and time in advance is natural, and the cost of pre-booked tickets is a lot less than any other option.

Worth checking what 1st class is available for. Sometimes it's a lot more, occasionally not much more and on very rare occasions has even been cheaper!!

Luggage can go in one of three locations
- In luggage racks at the end of each carriage
- Overhead shelves (not suitable for large luggage)
- In useful gaps between seats that face back to back. These are often the best option as you don't have to lift the bags and they are also inside the carriage, so easy to keep an eye on.

Catering is traditionally pretty dire, though Virgin trains did lift the quality for the brief period they had the franchise. There is also a dining car, which is reasonably comfortable. The best option though is to take your own picnic and maybe just buy a hot drink on the train (though better options for hot drinks are often found near the station).

Trainline is indeed a well-regarded aggregator, though I'm old-fashioned and still always use nationalrail (dot co dot uk), which I believe has the same prices.

Thank you all! I'm waiting to book because only one company is selling tickets right now, and they only have standard class. Is it worth the added expense (within reason!) for the comfort/space/quiet of First Class?

I suspect the value of upgrading will vary amongst us, but personally for a longer journey, I think I'd value it more than a shorter one.

I believe 1st class is normally priced at more than double standard. IMO that's not good value at all. If it were 50% more, then I think I'd be tempted, and often weekends are good for special offers for upgrading to 1st class.

However the advance tickets operate on a dynamic pricing algorithm, based on what's been sold so far. Thus it's worth looking at specific journeys to see which has the best prices and jumping on one if it appeals. Check the 1st class and standard class to see if you've hit one of those lucky moments that 1st class becomes a relative bargain.

The schedules used to change twice a year (summer and winter timetable) but I've no idea how far in advance they take bookings - and it might vary by operator. I reckon check 4 months away, and then 3 months away, and I'd be surprised if they're not bookable then.

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina