• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

Favorite Map Apps?

devarae

100+ Posts
Hi Folks!

I am curious what people use these days to create personalized maps for use when traveling, ideally a map that is available offline (with no data/wifi) that will still show customized markers for sites of interes. Like, say, if I want to take a map of Rome and mark my apartment, local grocery store, restaurants I want to visit, etc and be able to access it with a marker showing my current location, but without any internet connection.

Editing to add: I've used Google MyMaps in the past and like it, except that it is not (to my knowledge) available offline. My other option has been to simply mark places as Favorites (with hearts) in the regular Google Map app, then save an offline map, but I would love something I could personalize more...

Thanks!

Last edited:
I find Google Maps very enjoyable and useful, and I have a great amount of "saved places", some of which I also add labels to. I haven't bothered to try other programs, as GM is pretty amazing. Street View and 3D view have also added so much to researching a trip/route.

I once made a couple of custom maps in Google My Maps, in advance of a trip to Italy. While I enjoyed the customization, in the end I didn't really use them - the dynamics of the trip sort of skewed the relevance of the maps, as plans change. It's great if you want to spend hours and hours meticulously embedding more and more info - but I found this a bit overwhelming. I find that simply saving places on the regular Map is enough for me - all points of interest of any kind marked and always viewable.
Plus - I love having a paper map of any city or region, for the bird's-eye view and general perspective, and to get the head out of the screen....

BTW, there is a way to view a Google My Map while offline. You have to export your map as a KML file (this is done in the relevant spot while in My Maps), send this file to your e-mail, and then open it with an app called "MAPS.ME", that you have to download to your phone.

BTW, there is a way to view a Google My Map while offline. You have to export your map as a KML file (this is done in the relevant spot while in My Maps), send this file to your e-mail, and then open it with an app called "MAPS.ME", that you have to download to your phone.
Oh, that's helpful to know! Do you know if the app will allow you to view your currently location on the map (like in regular Google maps)?

Oh, that's helpful to know! Do you know if the app will allow you to view your currently location on the map (like in regular Google maps)?
Yes, it does. Don't remember what level of customization it offers....

I use Planet Earth. You can save maps offline easily and mark addresses, sites of interest, etc. with color coded dots. I’m pretty sure I paid for it when I first got it years ago.

I use Planet Earth. You can save maps offline easily and mark addresses, sites of interest, etc. with color coded dots. I’m pretty sure I paid for it when I first got it years ago.
Hi Callie - could you post a link for this app/program? I can't find it for some reason, unless it's for iOS only?

Agh...The reason you can't find it is that I gave the wrong name. It's POCKET Earth, not Planet Earth. Sorry. After using the free version for a while, I sprang for the PRO version. I use it all the time, even when I'm in my home town to find streets that I don't know.

Citymapper, "The ultimate technology for mobility in cities", is my go to app for travel and transit directions/assistance in cities. It is available for both Android and Apple. It provides detailed direction for walking, bus, metro, rail, tram etc. Google maps might cover many more cities and display a lot more information. Still, if you simply want an app that will get you to your destination easier, Citymapper is the best choice.

You can even designate your hotel etc. as "home" for the "Get me home" option. It also gives you an estimated cost of the different transportation options available, including Uber . Citymapper doesn't work everywhere. It's only available in metropolitan cities where there are several transportation options. I have used it in NYC and Paris with excellent results. I have even preset my "home hotel" for my next destination in Lisbon. Citymapper app is free.

Last edited:

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina