• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

Favorite meals in Reykjavik (November 2013)

Colleen

10+ Posts
While Joan and I were waiting at Keflavik airport for our flight home, we made "Best" and "Worst" lists - here are our favorites in Rekjavik:

Our first morning we needed COFFEE and something to eat while we waited for our hotel room to be ready. We walked around the neighborhood trying to find a good spot to park ourselves for a little bit. We landed at The Laundromat Cafe where, yes - you can do laundry and eat at the same time! We really liked the look of the place although at 9am it was mostly empty. (I had eggs on toast and a cappuccino, and Joan had toast and cappuccino.) We went back for lunch on Sunday, and it was a whole different story! It was packed with families and all their cold weather gear, and we ended up sharing a table. Joan had the traditional Icelandic fish soup, and I had an African avocado and grilled cheese sandwich. With fries. :) We later read a description of the cafe where it was called "a typical American diner." Huh. We didn't get that impression at all! But we did enjoy the food, service, and vibe.

We ate at Hornid Italian restaurant twice during our stay - once for a quick pizza and some greens (thin crust pizza was okay, the salad and its dressing were very good) before our scheduled Northern Lights tour, and again on our next to last night. The restaurant is just across the street from the Radisson 1919 Blu hotel where we were staying, and we kept calling it "The Fern Bar" because from the outside that's all we could see in the windows! Inside it's really decorated like a trattoria with straw covered Chianti bottles and "interesting" artwork. Our second meal was more leisurely - all I wanted a simple pasta with olive oil and garlic, and our server (who had an "Amelie" look about her) said, "No problem" even though it wasn't on the menu. My spaghetti was perfectly al dente and had the right balance of aglio e olio. Joan had the pan fried Arctic Char special with almonds in butter, and it was Delicious! We also shared a carafe of the house red wine.

One night we had a pre-dinner glass of wine at Solon Bistro - don't do it! We both took one sip, looked at our glasses, looked at each other and said, "Well, it's drinkable ... Barely." That wine glass took a long time to get empty! LOL But we really loved the white tapers lit at each table, and the service was prompt. We went back on our last night after dinner to enjoy the atmosphere, and Joan had a cappuccino and I had a B52 cocktail shot. MUCH better!

After the disappointing wine at Solon, we walked across the street to Ristorante Caruso where we had better luck with the food. We shared a mozzarella and tomato salad and a prawn risotto. Prior to our arrival in Iceland, we'd read not to expect very good or very many vegetables but our experience was positive. There were quite a few vegetable options, and they were all good. We learned that there are hothouses just outside the city and Iceland is almost 100% self sustaining vegetable-wise. Anyway, the Caprese salad was good and the risotto was tasty, served with grilled prawns on a skewer across the top. (We didn't take a chance on the wine!)

We had lunch one afternoon at Fish Restaurant, a small casual cafe on the main street leading to Hallgrimskirkja church. We both had the Icelandic fish soup -- it was super flavorful, with a little bit of a bite. Big bowls of soup, served with thick slices of Ciabatta pumpkin seed bread.

Probably our favorite meal of the trip was at K-Bar at the OK Hotel on Laugaveger Street. We'd stopped in one day to look at the menu, because the smell from the street was mouth watering! There was no English menu available, but the manager gave us a translation. We liked the decor and the friendly staff, and finally made it back our last day for an early dinner. I had a taste for ramen, but we were too early for the ramen and rice to be ready - although we were told if we came back later they would make me a vegetarian version. We stayed anyway, and ordered a soft-shelled crab sandwich to share, along with tempura green beans and a Fuji apple and arugula salad (with bacon on the side). It was all SO GOOD! The Ciabatta bread sandwich also had thinly sliced pickled vegetables and a spicy chipotle sauce. The green beans were panko crusted and very light, and the salad with hot mustard dressing was seriously good! ... We ended the meal with a "New York style cronut," because who wouldn't want to eat a cronut in Reykjavik! Oh man. We were oohing and ahhing, and when I paid the bill and raved about it (and everything else) our server smiled and said the cronuts were very popular. K-Bar is called a Korean-California Gastropub - but don't let that put you off! The decor is warm and welcoming, the service is excellent, and the food was out of this world. We were sorry we didn't eat there until our last day!

One thing we both liked is that every place we went to was open continuously - not closed between lunch and dinner as in Italy and France. When your stomach doesn't know what time zone it's in, it's nice to be able to get lunch at 3pm, or dinner at 5:30pm. :)

Last edited:
I hear ya, Pauline! My next trip will be for my birthday in 2015 ... in August. :)

Iceland is wonderful in winter, but I look forward to long days and exploring with a car outside the city.

It's been 20 years, more or less, since we stopped over in Reykjavik for 2 days on our way to Scotland. The food prices were shocking, and for a while we thought we might have to give up and eat at McDonald's! Eventually we did find an Italian restaurant that we could afford. I wonder how the prices compare now?

The exchange rate was around 120 ISK to 1 US $ while we were there. There's no tipping, so for us meals were discounted an additional 18-20% from US prices. :)

Breakfast at Laundromat Cafe was 4,000ISK, pizza, salad, and wine at Hornid was 4,840, full dinner at Hornid (fish, pasta, soup, wine) was 7,100, dinner at OK-Bar was 6,360. All prices are for both of our meals combined.

We had coffee drinks pretty regularly at 400-450ISK each, as I recall.

Last edited:
I'll add a few comments about coffee during our week in Reykjavik since it is critical to my enjoyment of a trip. Reading in advance that Iceland is a coffee-crazed country with a barista or two within arm's reach at all times, I was relieved! My usual order is a double cappuccino with nonfat (aka skim) milk--in a "real" cup. I won't review the coffee itself since it was uniformly good (and I've forgotten any fine points about it) but rather the ambiance.

Laundromat was definitely more of a food (and laundry!) place than a coffee place, but they do a professional job with coffee, too. Nothing fancy but extremely willing to please.

The Illy coffee shop near the Settlement Museum caught my eye, of course. Naturally it had the most Italian atmosphere of the bunch. We were there on a busy Saturday morning with lots of locals catching up with friends over a cup. A bonus for me--we saw our first snowflakes outside as we sipped. I realize for some of you at this moment in February a snowflake or two is not a bonus, but for this California girl it was.

The Radisson Blu 1919 Hotel breakfast cappuccino deserves special mention. The crew was wonderfully attentive and remembered our orders after the first day. Brought it to our table, even though it was a buffet. Very nice.

Stofan Cafe was more bar than coffee shop when we went, perhaps because it was 6 pm or so! My travel partner enjoyed an alcoholic beverage while I gave in to my need for caffeine. Dark, atmospheric, convivial.

Lastly, the aforementioned "bad wine" place, Solon. Despite our wine experience, we were drawn to the inviting atmosphere one evening after dinner elsewhere, the candlelit tapers reflecting so beautifully just called us back. They definitely redeemed themselves with beautiful, delicious cappuccino and a friendly willingness to seat us at a lovely table, even just for coffee.

I agree, Iceland loves good coffee and offers it in many enjoyable settings!

Last week Cubbies and I booked our plane tickets to Iceland for August!

The exchange rate is now 1 USD to 135 ISK. I like it!

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina