• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

Fly out of Linate or Malpensa from Milan to London

SusanSeattle

100+ Posts
Next spring, I'm travelling with a friend in Italy. Our last stop is Milan. She will fly back to the US from there, so flying out of Malpensa.
I am flying on to London. I did some searching with Skyscanner, and for nonstop flights with a reasonable departure time, i have a couple of choices. Wtih the checked luggage charge, the flights are very similar in price.

I can fly from Malpensa to Heathrow on BA or I can fly from Linate to Luton on EasyJet. I've flown into Heathrow and Gatwick before, and on BA. I've never flown out of either Milan airport or on Easyjet.

Any recommendations? Love to hear experiences of getting from Milan to Linate or Malpensa and from Luton to central London.

Thanks!
Susan

I fly on BA frequently out of Heathrow or Gatwick. I think that is your best bet because of the easy transportation into London. I think it is not as easy from Luton.

Thanks for all of the feedback. It turns out that my friend's flight leaves crazy early, so we've decided to stay at the Sheraton airport hotel the night before we both depart. Given that, and all the recommendations to stick with BA, I bought a BA morning flight from MXP to Heathrow.

Just back from MXP and Sheraton there. It was very easy upon arrival to use the Malpensa Express to get in to Milan. Had a rental car to return at the end of my trip and followed the car hire signs.
The ticket counter for the train was right by the Sheraton entrance. There were 3 armed guards by the ticket counter. Felt safe.
The Sheraton had a great rate and was handy for the night before my flight home. It did not meet my standards in cleanliness and maintenance. I filled in their online survey and received an apology from them. Even though I booked
twin beds, they had only one room they could offer me on the Club Floor 3, without Club entrance. The 2 glasses in the bathroom had a thick white film on them (never use them anyway), but gave me a bad impression. There was sticky candy on the hardwood floors and to top it off, one side of the black out curtain was missing, so we had lights and lightning disturbing our sleep.
Otherwise the hotel looks modern, is right there at the airport and there are places to get food nearby.
There's a nearby elevator that takes you up to Departures level.
The only thing I did not like about MXP was the very mean Customs Lady who was screaming at all of us for VAT stamps.
I stood in the customs line to get my receipts stamped like the instructions said, but did not need the Stamp this time.
I was sent to Post 12 where Global Blue agent just looked at my receipts and refunded my money in cash.
I much prefer this airport over my last few trips through FCO.

Adding: the sheets were stained and I did not see the blood until I pulled up the covers from under the mattress when I was packing up.

Last edited:
Thank you for all the detailed info. I hope the bad room was a one off as I think this hotel will be the best option for us. We'd also want twin beds.
Can I ask what you paid?

Thank you for all the detailed info. I hope the bad room was a one off as I think this hotel will be the best option for us. We'd also want twin beds.
Can I ask what you paid?
Senior rate 119 euro- rate got lower closer to date, so I always try to book easy cancellation rates. If you are not happy go down and ask for a change. We were too tired and wanted a room close to elevators. There can be a lot of walking involved.
It is an ideal location.

When there was a chance we'd fly out of Malpensa, I considered getting the Starwood American Express card for the purpose of staying at that Sheraton. After meeting the required spending, they give 25,000 bonus Starpoints, and a night at that Sheraton shows at 7000 points.

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina
Tuscan Traveler, Living in Italy by Ann Reavis