• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

South West Glastonbury, a Strange Town

Lisa in Ottawa

500+ Posts
We stopped in Glastonbury en route to Wells for the final outing of our 3 month Oxford stay. I knew in advance that it was filled with New Age shops. However, that knowledge didn't prepare me for the reality of the place. Almost every shop on the high street sold either crystals, or weird looking gypsy type clothing(some looking vaguely reminiscent of the early 70's), or advertised tarot or astrology readings or was a book store dealing specifically with New Age topics. There were also lots of vegan and gluten free cafes. It had 1 large natural foods store.

Now I usually like places like this with a bit of the old crunchie granola hippie flavour. But this place was just bizarre. How do these stores survive?

We spent a day in Glastonbury about 10 years ago and have been meaning to go back. Sounds like it is more tacky now. I liked the abbey ruins in the center of town and the Tor. Maybe it is more "fake" hippie now?

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina