• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

Happy to be here

Callie

10+ Posts
We're long time Slow Travelers who have discovered there's more to travel than Italy. Now we find ourselves in England, Scotland, Paris, Prague and Budapest, with plans to see more in the coming years.

So happy to have found this site.

Callie

We were obsessed with Italy travel for many years, but became un-obsessed about 10 years ago. After a nice break during which we traveled in England, moved to England and then traveled in France, we are back in love with Italy! We just needed a few years apart :)

I suspect we'll be back as well. We're enjoying these new places, but every once a while I see a picture of Venice or Rome and get a little nostalgic.

We did several trips to France from the UK. Steve speaks French. I love the cafes, the hiking trails, the Roman history, the towns. Not the food because it isn't that great for vegetarians. When we finally went back to Tuscany last year (after 10 years away) I was shocked by the beauty. I had forgotten how incredibly beautiful the towns are. And the food works much better for me. I like Italian cafes, but IMO they are not as much fun as the French ones. I love sitting at an outside table in a French cafe.

And, of course, we really love England. And Switzerland. :)

Are you anywhere near the Donkey Sanctuary Sidmouth? It's closer to Weston than Sidmouth. My avatar is me with one of the donkeys on a visit there a couple of years ago. I follow the donkeys on Facebook and a webcam - love those donkeys. Scares my husband to death - he's afraid I'm going to get one.

Callie

We are in Bridport, about 40 mins drive east of the Donkey Sanctuary. We have been there because a friend of mine is obsessed with donkeys. It was because of her that we first came to this area. She was doing "Donkey Week" (something they do every May) and we all rented a place in Sidmouth. She and her husband did donkey stuff and we went walking.

I thought that was a donkey in your photo!

Wouldn't that be lovely? I was telling my husband how happy I was to have found this site because everyone on Slow Travel was so nice and helpful. If there was ever any drama or nastiness, I never saw it.

I like Italian cafes, but IMO they are not as much fun as the French ones.
And the markets in France are way better than the ones in Italy. They are also a great source of food for vegetarians, if you want to do your own cooking.

Hi Callie! I am Pokey from Slowtravel. Nice to see you here. Were you known as Callie also on ST?
I love Italy but next year I'm going to "cheat" on her and go to England (specifically the Cotswolds; going on Kathy and Charley Woods http://www.european-experiences.com/cotswolds-england/ tour and then to Edinburgh Scotland. I am really looking forward to new adventures! (and seeing Pauline and Steve in London....hopefully)!!!

Mindy

Mindy,

I was Callie B on Slow Travel, so close enough. Pokey was one of the names I recognized when I looked at the list of members. I've rather enjoyed cheating on Italy, but every year we don't go, I feel a little guilty. My first trip to Scotland was two years ago and I'm ready to go back. Absolutely loved it.

Callie

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina