• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

Hello from Ireland

lemonapple

Hello!

I live in Ireland with my American husband and our 3 boys. The boys and I are UK/US/Irish citizens (I was born in Northern Ireland). The boys are 14, 12 and 9, and we are planning to spend the school year 2019-20 travelling in Europe. My husband works remotely most of the time anyway, and the two youngest boys are homeschooled. The older one will be taking a year out of school to travel.

We'll be taking a trailer so we can bring bikes, cycling is very important for us! We intend to stay in one place for at least a month at a time to avail of accommodation discounts, to get to know an area a bit better, and to be able to park the trailer and explore more freely with just the car, although we may have a few shorter stops in between the longer ones. I'm studying French and German with the Open University so opportunity to practice the languages, and to make the kids start learning too, will be important.

Glad to have found this forum and like-minded travellers!

Many of us belonged to the Slow Travel website (now gone) and I remember we had some families doing this. I remember one member, WT, who spent several years roaming around Europe with her husband and one child. They used to spend the winters in Spain.

An Internet personality that I followed was Christine Gilbert (Almost Fearless) who spent years on the road with her husband and had three children while traveling! She wrote a good book about living six months in 3 places - China, Lebanon, Spain, I think. The book is: Mother Tongue: My Family's Globe-Trotting Quest to Dream in Mandarin, Laugh in Arabic, and Sing in Spanish.

Your children are a good age to embark on this I think! Best wishes and I hope we can be of help to you.

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina