• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

Hello!

anneo

10+ Posts
Hi ....I'm Anne, and am finally signing up here. I was a regular on the old ST boards. Looking forward to getting back to travel discussions. My immediate need is for info on Switzerland. I have a bucket list request for a trip to Switzerland. Time is probably short, so I want to try to plan something fairly quickly. She doesn't have a specific reason other than she has always wanted to see the Alps. Obviously, winter is not the best time to go, but I think this trip needs to be sooner rather than later. I checked flights, and I can use FF miles to get us there for a week at the end of January (flying into Zurich). Just not sure where to go or what to do in Switzerland as its never been on my list. Help! Thanks!!

Switzerland is a popular winter destination for skiers and it will probably be easy to set up a trip. If your friend wants to see the Alps, it might be a good idea to take one of the train lines where you go through the Alps, like the Glacier Express which runs from Zermatt to St Moritz. Here is information on the Swiss Tourism website. There are other specialty train rides in Switzerland. I am not sure which would be best for winter.

Another option, with less moving around, would be to take the train from Zurich to a town in the alps and spend your time there. Grindelwald or Zermatt would be good choices. Both are small towns right up in the mountains. Some towns keep walking trails clear of snow, so non-skiers can still get out and about.

Zurich is a lovely city but is not in the Alps. Still it would be nice to spend some time there. Be prepared for shockingly high hotel prices.

I wrote a reply about Switzerland for a recent thread (in the Italy forum). Here is the link to it.

I am happy to talk endlessly about Switzerland if you have questions or comments or find some interesting winter travel info.

Thanks for the links Pauline...really not sure when we will be able to go, but my sense is it needs to be fairly soon. She is on chemo by pill now, so we can take treatment wherever we go. I'd love to be able to wait until spring when the weather is better, but I think that may be too late. I'm somewhat worried about the high prices in Switzerland, so might see if she would be willing to do Northern Italy instead. Just starting my research!

I do recommend Switzerland. It is a special place.

We stayed in Cogne, a village near Aosta in northern Italy. It was nice but the mountains and towns are more lovely in Switzerland, I think. Also Swiss hotels are very good and a 2 star there is like a 3 star in Italy. And the trains are very good in Switzerland so you would not have to rent a car.

Have fun planning. So sorry about the circumstances for the trip. Your friend might be happy with two nights in Zurich, a nice train ride into the mountains and a week in one mountain town, where she can enjoy that lovely air and the views. That would be an easy trip. If you want to skip Zurich there is a train pass you can buy that gives you a train ride from and to your arrival/departure place (the airport) and half price for all train rides, with discounts for mountain rides too.

You will be able to take a gondola, with the skiers, up the mountain and instead of skiing have lunch in the restaurant at the top.

I think we're going to decide this weekend if we can really do this trip. I'd rather wait till April if we can. I like the idea of skipping Zurich...we will probably only have a week (not my favorite way to travel but I don't think she can handle a longer trip). I'm thinking now fly into Geneva and train to wherever we end up. It will be a very leisurely trip...no real advernturing anywhere!

anne

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina