• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

Hints for a handicapped traveler

BJinNM

10+ Posts
I have a good friend whose husband is a double amputee. He wears artificial legs and does very well with them. They are going to London, Paris and Budapest next April and I have been giving them hints as to what to do about laundry, phones, etc. They will have a scooter with them. I remember on SlowTravel there was a great article about traveling in a wheelchair. Of course, I didn't save it. Does anyone remember any hints for getting around in Europe from it? I don't remember who wrote it. Does anyone have any suggestions for them? They haven't looked at apartments since they have special needs, but if someone knows either hotels or apartments with handicap access, I can pass that along to them. Any help here would be appreciated, even plus or minuses about restaurants.

Hi BJ
Rome Addict did this article on Rome accessibility - is that the one you were thinking of?
http://slowtrav.com/italy/accessible/rome/index.htm
Regards
Ian

p.s. In general I'd expect London hotels to be accessible by default these days, but sensible to get them to confirm when booking. Apartments potentially more challenging, though modern purpose built 'aparthotels' would be accessible via building regulations.

p.p.s. There is a tube map on TFL site that details the accessibility of each of the tube stations, though IIRC Rome Addict mentioned that some marked as accessible were a bit of a hassle. Buses lower to the kerb on request, and in theory wheelchairs take priority over prams / pushchairs on buses, though the odd person can be stubborn / grumpy about having to fold up their scythed baby chariot.

p.p.s. London does traditionally seem to have more upstairs or downstairs toilets than most cities, though some will still have a disabled toilet on ground floor. Again, one to confirm on booking I would think.

This won't help with your friend's trip but I noticed in Switzerland this summer that the gondolas may be accessible. Usually you hop into them as they slowly go by the loading area, but they stop them when someone with mobility issues is getting on and they help them into the gondola (and off at the top).

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina