• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

How do you decide on your holiday?

Ian Sutton

1000+ Posts
Prompted by a comment from ArtnBarb on the UK forum, how do you work out where to go on holiday?

We've used a number of ways in the past including:
- Ensuring we go to a favourite place we've been to, but then find somewhere new but logistically convenient.
- Targeted a region e.g. Emilia-Romagna or Toscana, and try to get a flavour for it via ~ 3 different 'bases'
- Focus on specific aims e.g. walking, being amongst the mountains, take a longer train journey, wine or a place with food we want to try / buy. Then see if there are any convenient combinations

Tools we've used to assist:

- Fred Plotkin's Italy for the gourmet traveller book. Not especially for his suggestions (I think the Golosario is a much more detailed and wide ranging book). Rather Fred has a wonderfully appealing, enthusiastic but occasionally critical writing style, such that I enjoy reading what he has to say about each region, town/city and sometimes these have sparked a genuine desire to visit. Other guide books / web resources get picked up as well, but less than they used to.
- Trenitalia. We're very happy using the trains, sometimes for transfers, sometimes for day trips, but getting a feel for this helps us 'connect' the candidates. Google maps is also very useful from start to low-level detail. Local tourist websites sometimes give a useful 'feel' but I tend to use these more once we're set on locations.
- Potential places to stay. Sometimes a place is so appealing, we'll tweak the plans to stay there, even if a distance away from where we'd planned.

Mantras
- Reduce the travel, increase the genuine holiday time. There is always a balance of # of locations vs. time spent in each. We tend to settle on 4-5 days in each as long as the transfers are short (say <2 hours door to door), but longer stays if the transfer is longer. Every year we say that's the shortest we should stay, but a full week in each place would be better. One day I'll learn:banghead:
- Balance & variety. Rarely will we choose places offering similar charms. Having coast + mountains + foodie city would be a popular combo for us.

Enough of me, how do you go about the initial shaping of a trip, what do you find invaluable in doing this and are there any mantras you follow to ensure the holiday fits what you seek?

regards
Ian

Here's my strategy: I usually drive myself crazy by searching the internet, then I drive Art crazy by asking his opinion, then I drive message board members crazy by asking 10 zillion seemingly unrelated questions until suddenly it all seems to gel.
:D

That's a great question. I've also been tugged in one direction or another by a variety of influences.

*Where can my ff miles take me for the fewest miles and layovers? OK, what's near there? (Flew into Frankfort, so explored the Alsace)
*Holy smokes, look at that airfare deal. Let's go to X. ($370 r/t to Venice. Sold.
*Entranced by carvings in Romanesque churches when in Piemonte. Haven't been to France in a while and we can get ff seats to Paris. Where in France is a dense concentration of Romanesque? The Charente, where the Hell is that? Let's go!
*Everyone seems to be posting wonderful experiences in Puglia. Let's go!
*I loved the Romanesque architecture, food, villages, wines and landscape in Piemonte between Asti and Alba. Let's try north of Asti this time, and a friend of a friend is renovating a cottage to rent. Let's be her first renters for $400 euros/week
*Hey, Croatia is a bus ride from Venice. Let's go.
*Only week that works for a family trip is Christmas week. Where will we find enjoyment for art and food centric parents and young adult offspring that's affordable and not too cold? Barcelona!
* Where were we 15 years ago, loved, but haven;t been to since and so need a return? Umbria!
* Where would be an easy destination for multiple generations where we don't need to fly? Maine.

Yes, a great question, but my situation has changed since my husband passed in 2014. During his life, we were regulars to Italy, France and the UK. Outside Europe, we went to Hawaii every year.

I'm trying to come up with new criteria for a solo traveler! My comfort zone is France, due to understanding, but not fluent in, the language. Paris feels like home, so I've gone back three times since Richard died.

I'm craving a return trip this year, but haven't yet booked while I waited for my family to come back with dates in June (2-6 June) and September (17-24) when I'm traveling with them. This week, I was given their dates.

I'm so flexible, I have this criteria list!
  • Weeks that don't conflict with family vacations.
  • I'm open to traveling anywhere, at the same time, but not necessarily sharing (introvert who needs alone time) apartment, with friends or family.
  • Life is short, so if I want to go somewhere, I'll make it work!

• I'm open to traveling anywhere, at the same time, but not necessarily sharing (introvert who needs alone time) apartment, with friends or family.

In such scenarios I love those places that have a few apartments near each other, ideally of varying sizes. It allows for everyone to head over to the big apartment or communal sun deck / patio to hang out, or for a meal & wine, or even for a communal breakfast. However it does give that opportunity to head back to your own apartment, 'take the mask off' and relax / process the day.

I also think there's a lot to be said for a holiday that starts somewhere familiar (for you Paris), allowing you to find your feet quickly. Once settled, the upcoming destinations can appeal more, approaching them from the familiar.

Great question and I’m always curious how others arrive at their decisions.
  • I do have my favorites (Spain and Italy) which is why I have visited them more than any other country. I’m drawn to the culture, arts, history, people, and the beautiful landscape.
  • I travel mainly as a solo traveler, but I am expanding to trying new ways like smaller, specialized group tours. My first will be with Grapehops to Croatia which I am really looking forward to. When I plan a trip I like to visit somewhere new as well as somewhere familiar whenever possible and look at what’s close to Croatia, Venice!
  • I love photography, so I’m drawn visually. Two of my South America trips were based upon my desire to see Machu Picchu in Peru and Iguazu Falls and the glaciers in Argentina. Once I had that bug in my ear, I was planning those trips and found myself cruising near these huge ice glaciers, speeding down the river under the Iguazu falls in a zodiac boat and standing looking out onto Machu Picchu. Movies have played a role too. I went to Tuscany after watching Under the Tuscan Sun. That also influenced my trip to the Amalfi Coast as well (Positano). I visited Salzburg (huge Sound of Music Fan) and I walked the Camino de Santiago (after watching the movie, The Way).
  • Love the adventures of the unknown and the challenges and excitement it brings, which is why I loved my Camino de Santiago (Camino Frances Route) trip last year. I plan to walk the Portuguese route in 2018 and would love to continue to do short stages on the different routes. It touches me spiritually and feeds that part in me that seeks new challenges, the opportunity to learn from others and trying (as with Cameron) to get out of my comfort zone a bit.
  • Europe is my first love and I still haven’t visited Budapest, Romania, etc. so who knows what place will be calling me next. Honestly, I also want to see other non European places too, like Asia and more of South America.
Like Amy, sometimes I’ll see or hear something and then boom, I’d want to go. Sometimes the decision can be that direct and quick. As I enter my more mature chapter in life (currently retired as of last July 2016), I tend to have more of a need to savor each day and each experience to the fullest and to just enjoy the opportunities that I have to travel and be happy. I agree with Cameron, Life is short, and if I want to see something, I’ll try to make it work.

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina