• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

How Early Do You Buy Airfare?

artnbarb

1000+ Posts
As usual, I'm chomping at the bit to buy our airfare for next April. I wasn't really thinking about it, but then realized that if I wanted to use miles for our February trip to Mexico I needed to book ASAP......then I got to thinking about our London/Paris trip in April. Since all our miles are gone, I'll be paying for these tix, and I never seem to guess right when buying them. I found SDF-LHR and CDG-SDF, Premium economy, good seat selection, ample connection time and reasonable overall travel time. The cost - $1950 each, round trip. Am I the only one who thinks the days of waiting for the price to go down are long gone? How early do you buy?

Anywhere between 3m and 7m away (from memory).

Our trips were typically shorter though, and it was often a case of getting a rough set of options, checking the prices didn't influence that decision, then finding arrival / departure accommodation and booking them all on the same day, as we didn't like the risk of prices going up on either in the meantime.

For longer trips, we'd check prices relatively early, and then check prices + or - a month of the rough date to find a good cheap window... all of this a good few months before the trip.

You used to be able to get a refund if the price dropped after purchasing but im assuming that doesn’t happen any more.

Post-COVID, on most airlines and with the exception of Basic Economy fares, if the fare goes down you can have the difference as a credit towards future travel, and there's no longer a Change Fee line item; you'd need to see if the credit is valid long enough to be useful to you.

T
Post-COVID, on most airlines and with the exception of Basic Economy fares, if the fare goes down you can have the difference as a credit towards future travel, and there's no longer a Change Fee line item; you'd need to see if the credit is valid long enough to be useful to you.

Thanks! Very helpful information.

When we think we have a travel window we start checking daily, this upcoming September trip we started looking in late May. In mid June we found flights at $570 Dulles to Malpensa….jumped on that! We find that late Tuesday night is a great time to search!

I set a search in google flights and receive updates when fares are lower than usual. Also, if you are enrolled in ITA’s loyalty program, they periodically send out notices of discounted fares.

I set a search in google flights and receive updates when fares are lower than usual. Also, if you are enrolled in ITA’s loyalty program, they periodically send out notices of discounted fares.
(Other airlines often also send out similar notices)

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina
Tuscan Traveler, Living in Italy by Ann Reavis