• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

Help Needed How long in Amsterdam?

Gerry&Joy

10+ Posts
I'm getting ready to book flights to Europe next fall and Amsterdam will be the first city for us to say in for a few days. So, I'm asking how many days do we stay in Amsterdam? We board a boat on a Wednesday at 6PM and will come by train from Frankfurt arriving in the afternoon. I'd like to stay in the city centre near the tarin station and the dock which are close to each other. A day trip to Bruges is a possibility so that will add a day. We will likely rent a private apartment in the city. We are interested in cultural sights, mingling with locals and exploring the old city. Your suggestions for the length of time here is appreciated. Bye for now, Gerry

Hi Gerry & Joy
I suppose it depends what you want from Amsterdam.

A few days in such a central location will be very convenient for seeing some major sights (including the red light district - which I'd recommend visiting to make your own minds up on the conundrum). It will also expose you to some of the more 'in your face' elements of Amsterdam, and can leave an impression of a bustling city of great life, but sleazy/grimy with it. For a first trip it makes sense to stay there, as staying centrally really gets you thinking about what the city represents.

For us we've happily gravitated outwards, generally staying out beyond the Museum Quarter, in more leafy suburbs that offer a lot more peace and quiet. It's a tram journey into the city, but when we've needed to go into the city, we go with a firm plan in mind. Plenty of great places to eat in the suburbs, and PC Hoofstraat has very civilised shopping. Other places I'll always shop on are the 9 streets, and Kaaskamer on Runstraat is one of my favourite cheese shops in the world. I'm a big fan of the Ethiopian restaurants, the one we liked most was on a road off Overtoom. However the range of overseas cuisine is exceptional.

Vondelpark is another good place to relax, as although it is vibrant and popular, there is loads of space and the greenery is much appreciated in a built-up city.

How many days? It's a big city and it would be difficult to run out of things to do. If focusing on the centre, then I'd suggest at least 3 days, but up to a week could easily be spent centrally plus just a few trips to the suburbs e.g. Museum Quarter, Albert Cuypstraat market, etc. More than 7 days and I think I'd find the centre too busy/noisy/imposing. Day trips out can help break it up, and the train system is excellent.

Regards
Ian

Last edited:
I had a suggestion from another forum: We can take the train from Frankfurt to Bruges, stay there for 2 - 3 days and then go on to Amsterdam. I've learned that on the first day after we board the boat the previous evening, the cruise includes two different excursions in Amsterdam so I don't need as many days there as I thought. We'll likely rent a self catering apartment in Bruges and a hotel near the port in Amsterdam. I like this plan. Comments anyone?

Sounds like a plan.
Amsterdam is one of my favorite cities in the world.
I agree with what Ian wrote above. I love to walk so if you are downtown you can walk anywhere almost as fast as the public transportation... weather permitting. We are doing a river cruise ending in Amsterdam in December, and cannot wait.

Have fun!

Hi Gerry & Joy - I've just posted a report of our 4 days in Amsterdam back in 2014. Here's a link: https://www.sloweurope.com/communit...m-with-a-day-trip-to-delft-oct-4-7-2014.2740/

I've read the rest of the thread & have a couple of comments:

1. From my limited impressions, the central/old part of the city is the least attractive area. I would not stay there - "sleazy/grimy", as Ian says, is a good description - and Ian LIKES the area. Amsterdam is compact, walkable, with excellent public transportation.

2. Your cruise itinerary includes 2 tours of the city. See the city on your own - much more enjoyable & memorable than tagging along with a group.

Last edited:
We've decided to spend a few days in Bruges where we've rented a self catering apartment, then go on to Amsterdam to start our Rhine River cruise. We'll have a day and half to explore the city; perhaps not time enough so we'll have to be selective and use Rick Steves to hit the best places.

We've decided to spend a few days in Bruges where we've rented a self catering apartment, then go on to Amsterdam to start our Rhine River cruise. We'll have a day and half to explore the city; perhaps not time enough so we'll have to be selective and use Rick Steves to hit the best places.
ENJOY!

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina