• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

Interlarken-Grindelwald, Switzerland B&B Recommendations

Paul Chebator

10+ Posts
My wife and I will be traveling to Switzerland and Italy in early September. The first week will be spent in Switzerland. We land in Zurich, will stay one night outside of the airport, and then head to the Interlarken-Grindelwald region where we plan on spending 4 days or so hiking, sightseeing and (for my wife's 60th) paragliding. Then on to Arosa.
Any recommendations on smaller places to stay, i.e., B&B type accommodations? Has anyone done the paragliding in either Interlarken or Grindelwald?? Any info would be appreciated. Thanks!

Hi @Paul Chebator ! My husband Steve and I have been to Switzerland many times, and are going again for two weeks in September. We currently live in the UK, but lived in the US for many years and flew into Zurich. It is only a 20 minute taxi from the airport to Zurich city center and we usually took the taxi and then spent 2 or 3 nights in Zurich (because we are jetlag wimps). You could spend your first night there, then take the train the next day instead of staying near the airport. Most likely your flight from the US arrives in the morning and you would get a chance to see some of Zurich. The downside to Zurich is that the hotels are shockingly expensive.

But perhaps you are driving? If you are taking the train you could look into a pass they have which covers your train from the airport to your destination and then at the end of your stay to the border. I think it also gives discounts during your stay. Let me know if you are taking the trains and I will get the link for you for this pass.

If your choice is Interlaken or Grindelwald, I vote for Grindelwald. Interlaken is in the valley before the mountains. Many people choose it because you can take trains from there to several mountain towns, but I prefer staying in the mountains and not starting each day with a one hour drive or more.

Grindelwald is very popular but should be less crowded in September and September is an excellent time to be in the Alps. We were in Grindelwald for a few days last July and it was packed. It is a favorite of Japanese tour groups. I love the town and the hiking is very good. Go on the Grindelwald tourist website for prices of mountain ride passes (those gondolas up to the mountain tops, where all the good trails are, are expensive).

I posted information about hiking in Grindelwald on another thread - Hiking in Grindelwald. We have stayed there many times and done a lot of hikes. If you have any questions, I should be able to help you.

We always stay in vacation rentals, but the hotels in Switzerland are very good. You can look on Booking.com to see the list of hotels - 2 or 3 star hotels will be good. If you have a car, make sure there is parking. If you don't have a car, make sure to get a central hotel where you can walk to the First gondola, the train station and be on the bus line.

We have seen paragliding in Switzerland, but I don't recall any in Grindelwald - but it is such a popular place there has to be paragliding. There should be some online resources to help you with this. I remember seeing paragliding in Engelberg, to the east of Grindelwald.

I have some Switzerland photos posted.

Hope this helps!

Photo from last July, on the trail to Kleine Scheidegg looking at the Eiger.

full

Thanks, Pauline. Great info. I've already checked out your info on the other site ! We are driving from Zurich and just found what appears to be a great room with bath on Air BnB. The paragliding is my wife's idea, not mine:blushing:

When driving from Zurich airport, if you don't want to drive too far, a good place to spend the night is Lucerne. It would be on the way to the mountains.

The paragliding would be fabulous in the Swiss mountains!

Thanks, we actually booked a bed and breakfast only about 20 away from the Zurich Airport, with the intriguing name of "Cow Meets City" (go figure). We'll then drive on to Grindelwald the next day with a lunch stop somewhere. We are now thinking that after 3 days in Grindelwald we may head to Arosta, as my wife was there years ago and has fond memories of it. So many place to go and things to see.....

We fly directly from Boston to Zurich tomorrow night. We are spending two days in Zurich visiting Swiss friends and then planned to head to Grindelwald. However, we have been following the weather for that area of the Swiss Alps for the past week and next week looks grim. Lots of rain and temps between 30's and 50's ! So, we are now considering the Italian Alps, specifically Bolzano, where it is supposed to be sunny and in the high 70's, low 80's!

We are in the Alps now, in Lenk not far from grindelwald, and the weather is great. Rain is forecast for Sunday and Monday and temps drop by 10F for a day, but then back to sunny and warm. When the forecast shows rain at this time of year, it can just be a storm in the late afternoon.

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina