• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

Italy, lake country

Fioridave

10+ Posts
We will be in Milan for a few days on our way to Trieste. We were thinking of the lake country for a day trip. Since there are lots of pretty natural areas near where I live I am less interested in lakes than in towns with architectural and historical places. We went to Como a few years ago and were disappointed since the town itself had very little.

do any of the lake towns have historica/architectura/artistic places to see

any links would be appreciated

thanks

Take a look at Lake Garda. If you are driving from Milan to Trieste, would be a good stopping place along the way rather than a day trip?

We had a fantastic suite at the Grand Hotel Gardone Riviera when there in what was then an elegant hotel showing its age. It has been closed for a while being renovated and it appears that they are accepting reservations for stays beginning April 1, 2024.

Last edited:
Utzi the mummified ice man has a museum in that neck of the woods. I’d love to see him myself, not sure if that’s up your alley.

Novara is pretty close by and well connected by public transport. Certainly some good architecture there, including a cathedral designed by the same person who did Torino's Mole. As a city it somehow avoids tourism's gaze, which I'm comfortable with, and it's certainly pleasant to stroll around, but not huge.

If motor racing appeals, there's Monza

Then there are plenty of very fast freccia train routes, meaning Bologna, Torino and others are in easy range for a day trip

Bergamo, the hisorical part - Città alta is ideal for a day trip. Especially combined with Accademia Carrara for art https://www.lacarrara.it/en/
Or I agree with Ian about Novara, a very pleasant place for a day trip

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina