• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

I've Created a HUGE Headache for Flights!

artnbarb

1000+ Posts
I think I've gotten myself into a huge mess - and I thought I'd figured out a work-around, but now I'm thinking no!

Originally the plan was to fly to Scotland in late August, spend a week+ there, then fly to Bucharest for a small gourp tour (with my daughter and SIL). After the tour ends (in Albania), we're all flying to Umbria - us for 7 weeks, +/-, them for 2 weeks before flying to Portugal. All the intra-European flights seemed doable, although I do have to wait until the fall schedules are published - some of the flights only go on certain days of the week, and I'll need to double check next years schedule.

Now I'm having second thoughts about the Scotland trip. Much as I love Scotland, perhaps this is just a little more challenging (aka strenuous) than I like - perhaps more challenging for Art, but even for me it seems like a lot. (This is, after all SLOW Europe!) If we were just going to Scotland, or to Romania, or even to Umbria, we wouldn't need as many clothes, but for the longer trip, and limited/unknown laundry facilities, I'm thinking we just might be hauling too many/too heavy suitcases all over Europe. WE did/do plan to arrive in Bucharest 3 days before the tour begins, so there may be an opportunity for laundry, but I'm still not sure that my plans aren't too ambitious for us.

So then I got the bright idea to eliminate Scotland all together, meaning we'd have to fly from Louisville to Bucharest. My plan was to find a flight with the longest possible European layover so we could check into an airport hotel, have a nice long sleep, then fly on to Bucharest. Unfortunately that doesn't seem to work as well flying TO Europe as it does from FROM Europe.

Now I'm back to the original plan including Scotland, but I'm wondering if there's something I'm overlooking - some alternative that I haven't thought of.. I'm hoping this isn't too rambling and confusing! TIA

I'm more inclined to factor in laundry half days into a schedule, than lug heavy bags around (and budget airline baggage allowances can play their part as well). It often works out well as we prefer apartments, and many have laundry facilities, so that's not even a half day hassle, but something that can be worked around during that day.

If staying in a Scottish city, or suburb or even decent sized town, there should also be a launderette, and many will do 'service washes', where you drop the dirty laundry off, and pick it up later the next day. a little more expensive, but if saving that time is valuable to you on holiday, it may be a bargain. Thus finishing your Scotland stay in Edinburgh or Glasgow, could have you sorting the laundry out on the day before flying.

I can't comment on laundry in Romania/Albania, but this looks like it might be your period where doing laundry is awkward, though if it's over a week, I'd expect the tour company to have a laundry service (at a price).

Once in Umbria, you'll have to do laundry, over a 7 week period, so it's not really going to affect your calculations.

Thus I'd be looking at enough clothes for the eastern europe tour, plus 2 days worth for the last 2 days in Scotland, plus 1 more for the day you travel to Umbria. If the tour is a week or longer, then I'd definitely enquire with them about laundry services.

With Ryanair etc. flights to places like Bucharest can be cheap and frequent, and with a clever choice of where you stay at either end, wonderfully convenient. Thus it doesn't surprise me that it's logistically (in terms of the flights) working out best with your original plan.

So in short, no I don't think you've got into a big mess at all, but with a little of a 'slow' mindset, you can use the laundry day(s) as something of a rest and recuperation day, especially just before leaving Scotland and on arrival in Umbria.

Thanks for the encouraging words, @Ian Sutton ! Our first laundry problem is this: we'll arrive in Scotland on Friday, staying in Edinburgh (The Tattoo!!!) On Tuesday we'll leave for a 4 day excursion (with Rabbies), returning Friday evening, then plan to fly directly to Bucharest on Saturday. The direct flights from EDI-BUH are limited, or were last summer. I'd much prefer to fly directly out of EDI than to have to fly to London Stansted to connect - one less chance something will go wrong!

Because of this, we're somewhat hopeful we could do laundry on Sat/Sun/Mon/Tues before our tour officially begins on Tuesday evening. I'd much rather be IN Bucharest than spend an extra day in Edinburgh, where doing laundry turned out to be more challenging than you'd expect last time we were there. Chances of getting same day service on a Saturday seem remote. I'd much rather spend the extra time wandering around a new city. I will, at some point, write to the hotel in Bucharest to ask about laundry options.

I guess right now I just have to decide if this amount of traveling and moving is something we're up for. I'll be 73 then, and for now I'm still in decent shape. Art will be 79, and the neuropathy in his feet will only get worse. Because he doesn't feel his soles, his balance is precarious, and he walks very slowly. HE wants to keep traveling, but IMO, he needs more than an optimistic outlook! <sigh>

Note to everyone: TRAVEL AS MUCH AS YOU CAN - NOW!

I remember we have the same birthday so i'm thinking I am 2 years older than you. We are right now in a hotel near MXP, flying tomorrow for a week in Prague after 5 weeks in Italy. This is all to say that the NON Slow travel part of our trip has been more challenging than I expected. Some has been fine but we had some shitty weather and on short stays that's tough. Suitcases are heavier than ever. Feet hurt more. Just think hard but don't over do it. and be forgiving if your plans don't work out perfectly.

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina
Tuscan Traveler, Living in Italy by Ann Reavis

Back