• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

Help Needed Last few weeks of planning

BJinNM

10+ Posts
As some of you know, we are spending a week in Prague and a week in Budapest this fall, with a river cruise in between. These are the last few weeks before we leave, and I have one question so far and a plea for restaurant suggestions and place not to be missed in Prague and Budapest. My question is whether anyone who has visited Budapest has purchased the Budapest card and whether it is worth it. Budapest Card We are in each city for a week. I would love your suggestions and your opinions.

BJ

I've been to Budapest three times in the past few years, one of my favorite cities to visit. I've never purchased the Budapest Card - I was just not very interested in the sights it has to offer. I have however purchased a transit pass which I used heavily (the 5/30 BKK Travelcard worked well for me). Note that if you happen to be an EU citizen and are 65 or over (dual citizen, perhaps?), you travel free on Hungarian public transport.

My top recommendation for Budapest is the Hungarian Parliament tour, which you can/should book ahead online. Other favorites are St. Stephen's Basilica, the Great Synagogue, Fisherman's Bastion, Castle Hill, Gellert Hill, Heroes Square, Great Market Hall, and Margaret Island (with its musical fountain). Also, if you have a transit pass, it includes the boats which go up and down the river, which is a pleasant ride on a nice day.

My favorite Budapest restaurant is Hungarikum Bisztro near the Parliament (book online at least a week or two in advance). Other faves are Cafe Kor, Borsso Bistro, and Barack & Szilva Restaurant.

I hope you have a wonderful time in this beautiful city!

At the BKK Customer Service Center at the airport, in both terminals 2A and 2B. Here is the link for more information:

https://bkk.hu/en/tickets-and-passes/prices/

I see there is a 7-day travelcard for HUF 4950 so maybe that would work out well for you. If you are not arriving at the airport, there are numerous ticket machines throughout the city where you can buy your tickets or passes. Here is a good guide to public transport in Budapest including how to buy tickets:

https://www.budapestbylocals.com/budapest-public-transport.html#ticketspasses

Thanks so much. We are arriving on a river boat so I will be looking for the ones around the city. I really appreciate your insights.

BJ

Thank you, Shannon. I have been reading about these and they sound interesting. Love the daytime idea and the food truck lead. (BTW is the volcano in Sicily eruption going to affect you guys?)

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina