• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

Help Needed Lombardy

Amy

100+ Posts
I'm looking at Italy in May, and considering Lombardy for a two week visit. Our interests are art, architecture, food and wine, history...the usual. Art cities, small towns, lake views, there seems to be a lot there to enjoy off the beaten path. Any special places to recommend? Good locations for a base, or a rental to recommend?
Thanks!

The only town in Lombardy that we have been to is Vigevano, and this because it is close to the provincial border with Piemonte, where we were touring.
The Piazza Ducale is quite impressive, we spent about two-three hours visiting there and walking in the surrounding streets. A lovely town, although might be a bit sleepy, hard to say - we were there on a Sunday. Chanced upon a religious procession, so the Piazza itself was quite active.
Have a great time in the province.

Hi Amy,

I've spent a lot of time in the Lombardia region while visiting friends. They have taken me to some interesting places:
*The the Museo Casa del Podestà in Lonato del Garda (there also is a cool castle in this town but it is a lot of walking and not sure how your knee is right now). Here's a link to my blog post for Lonato del Garda (scroll down past my blabber at the top of this post!).
*Il Vittoriale degli Italiani in Gardone Riviera (although again this could be more walking than you are up for). It really is an interesting villa though.
*Museo di Santa Giulia in Brescia (small museum but very cool - Roman ruins from 2 Roman Villas).
*Castell'Arquato - fun little town wtih a very cool castle - not too much walking if I am recalling correctly for this castle. Beautiful views from the top!

Some other more well known places I would also recommend - Bergamo Città Alta
and Cremona.

For a lake idea, I would recommend Lake Iseo. Much less touristy than Lake Garda. I wrote a short trip report about my stay in Iseo as well as other visits to the lake. I also wrote a bit about a visit to an abbey and a monastery located along the Cluniac road of Franciacorta in this trip report. I am not a wine drinker (migraines) but the Franciacorta region is a very famous region for wines in Italy.

Lucky you! I've always enjoyed my time in this region of Italy!

*Edited to add... not sure what the boat schedule is for May on Lake Iseo.

Last edited:

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina