• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

London, Liverpool, and Wine

Colo

500+ Posts
Contest 2019 Winner!
We are headed to London in early September for four days before catching a train to Liverpool (because I am of the age of everything… “The Beatles”) to experience the history and music of the Merseybeat.

We will return to London for a full day before catching a train to Southampton where we will embark for Norway and Iceland. Yep, this is a full-on tourist trip. A departure from our normal trips of the backroads of Spain, Italy or a tiny island in the land of blue water. We will rendezvous with 8 other couples on the ship. This trip is about friends and the Northern Lights (fingers crossed)!

I have been to London multiple times, but my lovely bride has not. So, we will be doing the major attractions the city offers, and hopefully a couple experiences off the beating track.

A bucket list item for me would be to check out one of the iconic fine wine purveyors of London. Looking for Recommendations?

Also, if anyone has any recommendations in Liverpool as regards to food or something one must do, I would be grateful.

Hi Colo
Berry brothers and Rudd (colloquially known as BBR) ideally fit the remit for iconic wine shop in London. Worth a browse of their site and possibly pre-ordering for pickup, as not all is on display. They're very historic, but also unusually technologically very much up to speed. It should absolutely give you that sense of history and place. They're no mugs in wine buying, so it's not all classed growth clarets and vintage ports, and they have stuff that's pleasingly off the beaten track.

Plenty of other good wine shops in the city, and I've always like the selection at Uncorked. I could probably suggest a decent one local to wherever you decide to stay.

Not off-the beaten track, but also somewhat underused, are the ferry services as a way to get about. Aside from that, walking above ground always preferable to the tube. It's easy to forget the amazing concentration of famous sites in London, such that it's easy to stumble across them. Abbey Road zebra crossing would seem an obvious photo opportunity whilst in London.

I don't know if they restarted the yellow submarine tours in Liverpool, using WW2 DUKW land + sea vehicles. It's been a long while since I worked up there, and I didn't eat out often, so sorry no reccos. The city has some historic buildings e.g. the Liver building, but also keeps reinventing itself. The metro system is decent there, and gives a nice option for a daytrip to (say) historic Chester.

When in September? I will be in London until September 8th. It would be fun to meet.

Berry Brothers is indeed a great store and they have one of those machines where you put a card in and wine comes out :) I went on a pub tour in December that ended next door to Berry Brothers and the pub actually had their claret by the glass. It wasn't cheap (in the pub) but it was very good and I noticed in the shop the price of that wine was quite reasonable. Most of the shops I go to are not so historic.

Of course you need to visit Gordon's, but that is a bar not a shop..

There was initially some distrust when Hedonism opened, given it's ownership by a wealthy Russian (Yevgeny Chichvarkin). That seems to have dissipated, and they certainly have a wide range of stock, with (unsurprisingly) plenty of top end stuff.

Also worth noting he's supported significant medical aid to Ukraine. https://harpers.co.uk/news/fullstor..._Wines_raises__A34.5_Million_for_Ukraine.html
Thanks Ian, Good to know.

From the article there is a list to Harper's top 50 independent retailers that Colo might find useful.
50 Best Indies 2023

Last edited:
Yes Mark that looks VERY Useful!!!! Thanks

We arrive on Thursday 9/5. That will be our walking zombie day from the red eye flight. Our plan is to do an early checking, shower, and ride the hop on and hop off all at a very slow pace. There is a line in a Jimmy Buffet song that goes... "If I ain't dead on Thursday - I will be roaring Friday Night. We are staying in Waterloo not far from the Eye

Shannon and Mark let us stay in touch and maybe a glass of wine will be in our future.
Ian are you in the city at that time?

Colo, for sure a glass of wine. If Friday works, that’s the best day for me. I’ll be somewhere in the west, easy to get to Waterloo. Saturday is ok too, but I’m flying Sunday so need to take it easy.

Reconsider the hop on hop off bus. They are not that great in London mainly because of the traffic.. take “slow pace” and multiply times infinity. Much better to ride upstairs on a regular bus. Then you can get off at any stop before going out of your mind. And you could do the Clipper on the Thames.. fresh air and cheaper than the hop on hop off buses!

I went back to the pub next to Berry Bros (the Red Lion) and there is also a Davy’s wine bar right there - I’d forgotten, even though I’ve been in that Davy’s before, as well as others. They have a number of locations.

Shannon,

We have found the older we get that first day crossing the pond is a chill day. However NO NAPS - we must stay awake. When I was working Europe, I would go back and forth like it was a short hop and time did not matter. I am lucky I can sleep well on the plane (no pharmaceutical assistance required) but my sweetie not so much. So we have found that a hop on hop off no matter how slow is a good way to chill. We are not there to sightsee, but just to get a feel of what is where.

We will get off somewhere and have a nice slow large lunch and then board again. A light dinner and then early to bed! We will wake up the next day like we have been in Europe for years. It works for us. But thanks for the heads up. As for the rest of our stay we went ahead and got an Oyster Card for public transportation for above, below, and on the water. We will keep loading if we need to.

Friday is our serious tourist day. The changing of the guard, Buckingham Palace and Gardens, and a play in the evening. Saturday may be better. We want to hit the Churchill War Room and walk the streets of Covenant Gardens, Piccadilly, St Paul's. We will stay in touch as plans developed.

Well Waterloo certainly walkable to BBR on St James St.

If you like traditional Italian alimentari, there's just one left of a clutch of them in the area. It's I Camisa on Old Compton st (the other side of Piccadilly circus from St James St). Staffed by Italians, and it's presentation is classically rustic/unfussy, but the foods are good, whether looking for picnic nibbles, or their excellent fresh pasta (and perhaps even better homemade sauces). If you do go there, the vintage house has a modest selection of wines (and a little more whisky), whilst further still up the road is the algerian coffee store which has a very large range of coffees and teas.

Shannon, I sent you a message though conversation and just added Colo to the conversation. So we can discuss details privately.
If you want to keep it here that is fine.
Here is the jist of what I said.

We arrive the morning of September 4th so will be beat that day.
I would assume it would be best to meet around happy hour in the 5:00-7:00 range.

We will be staying at the Park Plaza Westminster Bridge.
So will be centrally located for the 1st 4 nights of our London visit.
We then move to rental house in South Kensington for 5 nights. Then leave for West Sussex staying on the beach in Bracklesham Bay for 5 nights.
Thursday is my birthday so not sure if my wife wants to get together that day but remains a possibility.
Friday and Saturday look doable.
Friday sightseeing ends with hitting Tate Britain hoping to be there by 3:30 the museum closes at 6:00.
Saturday our last visit ends after visiting Westminster Abbey which closes at 4:00.

I encourage you to visit the wine shop Berry Brothers & Rudd it's icon of London! They have a great selection of wines and friendly service. In Liverpool, I recommend trying local dishes at The Art School restaurant, it's a true feast! Enjoy your trip and don't forget about the Northern Lights!

BB&R is definitely on our list!

Thank you for the Art School recommendation. Menu looks great and there are openings while we are there. :)

It would be so ironic if we saw the N. Lights in London and not in Iceland or Norway. All I want to do is see them. Do not care where

So sad. It was brilliant in having lovely food without any pretence or frippery.

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina
Tuscan Traveler, Living in Italy by Ann Reavis

Back