• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

London Suggestions Pease

artnbarb

1000+ Posts
Next April we're beginning our adventures in London again. We'll have several days or partial days free, and I need some ideas for some of the 2nd tier sites. I've been to London many, many times, and probably the only 'major' site we'll visit this time is the British Museum, because it's been years since we've been there and there's always something to discover. We won't visit the V&A this time, nor the Tower. Last year we walked/toured the Tower Bridge, The Shard, and took a daytrip to Greenwich. Maybe I should book a show - possibly The Mousetrap, because I don't think Art's seen it. Perhaps we'll revisit Kew Gardens.

Here's our schedule:
  • Sunday, arrive London. We're staying not far from the Tower, so I'm thinking we might just wander down there once we're settled in our hotel.
  • Monday - we have all day free
  • Tuesday - we're free until 6 p.m.,
  • Wednesday - free after 1 p.m.
  • Thursday - free all day
Any suggestions for out of the way/lesser known sites welcome! TIA

As ever, I'll suggest Borough Market for food, including some packaged stuff you might want to take home. Thursday is ideal, and it's a modest walk from tower bridge. The walk along the river is decent there as well, with HMS Belfast warship and a copy of the Golden Hinde sailing ship. Walk a little further and it brings in not just the Tate modern, but I recall the river walk there used to be very nice (and you could curate a picnic from Borough Market), and the recreation of the globe theatre, and also the millennium bridge.

Petticoat lane & spitalfields market might make for an easy sunday walk, and this usually bustling area is otherwise quiet at the weekend. Both are Sunday opening.

If you fancy getting out of London for a day/half day, then there are trains from London Bridge to Brighton.

If you do go to Borough Market, also visit Southwark Cathedral just 2-3 minutes walk away. It 's not really on the tourist radar so will be a lot quieter than places like Westminster Abbey and St Paul's Cathedral. Hodge the cathedral cat even has his own web pages. Entry is free and it has a cafe.

There are also a couple of somewhat esoteric museums near there too (although maybe not for the faint hearted - The Clink Prison Museum and the Old Operating Theatre Museum.

We just returned from London. On two days we had private tours by two different guides. Both were excellent and took us places you would never discover on your own. One tour was Medieval and Roman sites. The other tour was of Greenwich, but he took us to several stops on the way such as the Mayflower Pub and Cutty Sark.

Both guides had their own licensed taxi, so there was driving and walking. The guides aren't cheap, but on the other hand they make the very best use of your time. Not to mention that they have been licensed for 20 to 25 years in London and know it like the back of their hand.

We saw the play Fawlty Towers, if you are a fan of the old TV show.

Is that the one where the audience are diners in the Fawlty Towers restaurant, or a more traditional play?

We just returned from London. On two days we had private tours by two different guides. Both were excellent and took us places you would never discover on your own. One tour was Medieval and Roman sites. The other tour was of Greenwich, but he took us to several stops on the way such as the Mayflower Pub and Cutty Sark.

Both guides had their own licensed taxi, so there was driving and walking. The guides aren't cheap, but on the other hand they make the very best use of your time. Not to mention that they have been licensed for 20 to 25 years in London and know it like the back of their hand.

I'd love contact details for the Medieval and Roman tour! Thanks!

I'd love contact details for the Medieval and Roman tour! Thanks!
I booked him through ToursbyLocals.com. If this link doesn't work ( https://www.toursbylocals.com/bookingconfirmation/664d31d658da648e06d9c54d ) go to their site and search for Michael "Mick" Greenwood in London.

I think our other guide, Tony Podowski, could also do that tour. The thing about Tony is he took many photos of us with his pro camera through the tour and then emailed them to us. A nice touch!

A funny story, early in our tour with Mick I noticed he had his taxi meter running. I wondered why was that, we paid for the tour there shouldn't be a meter charge. He explained he would run it when he parked illegally while taking us to view a site. He said if the police saw the meter running they might not ticket him thinking he was waiting for a fare! :D

Since you have been there so many times and are looking for something different, I should also mention that Tony, and maybe also Mick, offer Inspector Morse, Harry Potter and Ted Lasso tours.

Hello,
I don’t know you but I feel I do from our old SlowTravel days..
I’m off to the Cotswolds tomorrow to show an old friend around some of my favourite gardens and arts and crafts sites . I’m not suggesting that for you but
I’m wondering if you like gardens/ architecture ?

I love the redevelopment of Battersea Power Station. It’s a lovely walk from the nearest bus or its own tube station or you can arrive by river.

There are gardens and a lift that takes you up one of the chimneys and usually lots of things going on as well as shops and places to eat. I’m odd as I love the bricks and the stories behind how they matched the originals for the redevelopment.

Adjacent to Battersea Power Station you will find ;

https://batterseapark.org/russell-page-garden/
I love the restoration of Russell Page’s garden. He worked on gardens in Italy like
La Mortella on Ischia as well as Gardens in the States.

On a more sombre note Postman’s Park was the idea of George Frederick Watts;

It’s a small but beautiful memorial to people who gave their lives helping others to
live.

Scant descriptions of both for now as they might not appeal.

Wendy

Last edited:
I’m glad ! Plenty of time for further planning between now and April.

So many rewarding “ off the beaten track” things to see. I’ll write more upon my return
if I survive the heat in the Cotswolds !

The Soames Museum and Lord Leighton’s house may interest you too.

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina