• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

Malta

michele29

10+ Posts
Yea or nay for a two week visit? I did a very quick search and didn’t come- up with much. It sure looks like an interesting place worth a stay

Very definitley YES and also spend some time of Gozo too! The scenery is wonderful and the sea so blue. There is a lot of history including some amazing prehistoric remains (don't miss the Hypogeum on Malta - book well in advance as visitor numbers are limited.)

My trip reports from 2021 with lots of pictures are here for Malta and here for Gozo. We visited Gozo first, but it probably doesn't make a lot of difference. Also build in a day trip to Comino and the Blue Lagoon (the tiny island between Malta and Gozo)

We went there years ago and it was wonderful = one week only and two would be great == Eleanor sounds like she has the most recent info == I'd go back in a minute.

If you're in Malta between June and August you might want to try to catch a water polo game. They have a semi-pro league and many world class Olympians come over from the European mainland on contracts to play in their off seasons. Malta is about the only country in the world where water polo is its national sport (apart from soccer) and the fans are fanatical. Lots of people attend the games and the bays around the city are dotted with water polo club rooms which have restaurants and bars. You can sometimes enjoy a drink or something to eat while watching the teams practise in the sea. The 'Sliema' is just one example.
Sliema Pitch
+356 2133 4134

https://www.google.com/search?clien...source=sh/x/loc/hdr/m1/4&kgs=b7c447e7878ba643

If you're in Malta between June and August you might want to try to catch a water polo game. They have a semi-pro league and many world class Olympians come over from the European mainland on contracts to play in their off seasons. Malta is about the only country in the world where water polo is its national sport (apart from soccer) and the fans are fanatical. Lots of people attend the games and the bays around the city are dotted with water polo club rooms which have restaurants and bars. You can sometimes enjoy a drink or something to eat while watching the teams practise in the sea. The 'Sliema' is just one example.
Sliema Pitch
+356 2133 4134

https://www.google.com/search?client=ms-android-samsung-rvo1&sa=X&sca_esv=eb2743fa5ff9c074&hl=en-AU&cs=0&sxsrf=ADLYWILAes18Cen2Ha0wNITiy8vw0i_zAg:1724781387672&q=Sliema Pitch&ludocid=18280194345397289877&ibp=gwp;0,7&lsig=AB86z5V8geYebfJI7SZCdIRFW8fn&shndl=-1&shem=vslcea&source=sh/x/loc/hdr/m1/4&kgs=b7c447e7878ba643

I wonder how many people would visit Malta only to see these Water Polo matches.

In addition to visiting the many well known sites of interest while touring Valletta, while there I strongly recommend Aaron’s Kitchen for excellent food and Kamy’s Cocktail Bar for classic cocktails in a wonderful, cozy setting. Also, after viewing Caravaggio’s masterpiece about St. John (while kept at a considerable distance), suggest you then go upstairs for the very up-close immersive presentation of the same before exiting the cathedral.

I wonder how many people would visit Malta only to see these Water Polo matches.
Probably not many for the Maltese National Championships, but Malta won the right to host the European Aquatics Champions League Mens Water Polo Finals for this year and the next two years. The finals were held this year in the second week of June. And a great many people came over from Italy, Serbia, Greece and Hungary to support their teams (and to have a holiday I suspect).

We spent 2 weeks in Malta in June, our first time there, and we loved it. Will definitely be going back at some time as there’s so much to see and do and we felt we only scratched the surface. I had no idea about the water polo but looking at the other comments that explains why our hotel had half the dining room cordoned off for competitors. Its a great place, and worth spending 2 weeks there to really get to grips with it all.

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina
Tuscan Traveler, Living in Italy by Ann Reavis