• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

Cotswolds Minster Lovell Hall, Oxfordshire

Minster Lovell Hall, near Witney, Oxfordshire - Are there ghosts?

Husband had grown up in Oxford and knew all the stories connected with Minster Lovell Hall. It was a place you didn’t visit and you crossed yourself if you went past on the road... He wasn’t too keen on visiting.

The first time we visited was several years ago on a glorious sunny day. We were the only visitors and I wandered round the ruins. In places I could feel a sense of deep melancholy descend on me. Move a few steps and this lifted. It was most peculiar. It wasn’t just me, daughter also felt the same. Husband’s only comment was “Now you know why I didn’t want to come...”

The second time, it was a misty rather murky morning, definitely atmospheric. However there were no ghosts. Perhaps the two girls having a picnic by the river, the young man taking photographs and the dog walker had scared them away?

The ruins of Minster Lovell Hall are in a lovely setting on the slowly flowing River Windrush.

IMGP4373.jpg

Minster Lovell - plan .png

The remains of the great hall and solar still stand to nearly their full height and still have traces of wall plaster.

IMGP4367.jpg

They are reached through a vaulted archway with carved bosses.

IMGP4374.jpg

IMGP4375.jpg

IMGP4376.jpg

There are traces of the NW and SW towers. The rest are just foundations.

IMGP4370.jpg

IMGP4377.jpg

The land was granted to the Lovell family by Henry I. The manor was briefly held by Hugh de Despenser, a favourite of Edward II during the infancy of the third Lord Lovell. The seventh Baron, William Lovell, demolished the C12th house and rebuilt it between 1431-40, with a splendid manor house set round a courtyard. After Francis Lovell fought on behalf of Richard III at the Battle of Bosworth, the estates were seized by the crown. In 1602 it passed to Thomas Coke but the family abandoned it in the mid C18th in favour of Holkham Hall. Most of the buildings were dismantled and used for building stone.

In the farmyard next to the Hall is a dovecot. This isn't open and you have to peer over the wall at it.

Minster Lovell Dovecot.png

And now for the stories connected to the ruins....

In the C18th, workmen found a skeleton in the basement, seated at a table with a book, pen and paper with his dog at his feet and a cap laying on the floor. The bones crumbled to dust before their eyes. This prompted the story that Francis fled to Minster Lovell after Bosworth and hid in secret chamber known only to an old and trusted servant who brought him food and drink. When the servant died suddenly, Francis starved to death.

Minster Lovell Hall is also one of the places associated with the story of the Mistletoe bough.

The ruins are also said to be haunted by a night in shining armour on a white charger.

Another story relates that one of the Lovells came to Minster Lovell where he fell for his brother's wife and, in his jealousy, shot him. The widow refused to have anything to do with her brother-in-law, and drowned herself in what is now known as the Lady's Pool. The enraged brother burnt down the house. When workmen tried to demolish the ruins it is said that their axes broke.

Are they true, who knows. Visit and see if the ghosts appear for you....

Website

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina