• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

Mobile phone account problems

Andrew

500+ Posts
Contest 2019 Winner!
I have some problems with my TIM mobile phone account . I’ll put the simpler question first, even if logically what I’ll put later, which is more convoluted, should come first.

I have an iPhone from AT&T that can now be unlocked, and I’m interested in using it with an Italian provider in Italy. One question is whether I can transfer my existing TIM phone number and credit to that phone, once I get a SIM for it. As I’ll describe below, by the time we’re there in September, if I don’t get help from TIM my credit with them may be so low that it’s hardly worth worrying about, and I may want to change companies. If I change companies, can I keep the number? Even with fluent Italian, it’s hard to determine what offers on the TIM and Vodafone sites are good for setting up on an existing iPhone, just for having a decent amount of data while we’re away from Wi-Fi, charges won’t continue when we’re away from Italy, and we can keep the number. Any advice?

Now the convoluted part. We left Italy a year ago with over €20 on the TIM account. I bought RicariCards on cash register slips to add value before the 1-year expiration. This week I logged into my TIM account on the Web and found a balance of a few cents. From what I can tell from navigating the site, I was put on a “Prime Go” plan that charges 49 cents a week. Also the (somewhat hidden) spot on the site for entering the RicariCard number keeps giving an error message, and the phone, which generally got a signal when there’s an AT&T signal, isn’t getting one now for me to try calling 40916 directly.

I was able to get a friend in Italy to add value, but now that weekly charge is being subtracted again. On the TIM site I’m having trouble finding a way to do an email or online chat. On Saturday I sent them a Facebook message about the initial problem using the RicariCard and the mystery of the falling balance. On Monday (three days ago) I got a reply asking to give my data including Codice Fiscale and they’d look into it. I did that, and wrote again when I saw money being subtracted again, but I haven’t heard back. Any suggestions on what to do? I don’t know if it would work for someone in Italy to call on my behalf with the data TIM has on me: they have my name in a botched form, so the Codice Fiscale they have is also wrong.

Before the friend added the value, the TIM site on the Web showed my model of phone, but afterwards it wasn’t showing. I tried adding it back, but I don’t find the model in their menu of choices: Samsung GT-C3503; I selected another Samsung GT-C. Would it mean that TIM no longer supports this phone; that’s why I don’t get a signal now and I won’t get one in Italy?

I don’t know if it’s that important that I keep the number: I could notify most contacts of a change in a group Facebook message. Sorry if this is long; I’ll appreciate any help.

I've received a Facebook message from TIM that I am indeed on the Prime Go plan, and I can get off it for a €3 charge. I've replied that yes, I want to de-activate that plan, but it would be more proper to take back the charges taken without authorization.

I agree that they should take back the charges since you were not aware of them. It's too bad TIM makes it so complicated to keep your number. I hope all works out for you!

Hi again,

I just found this website that provides info about the different companies in Italy for sim cards and saw this under the TIM info. It is probably not very helpful to you at this point, but at least perhaps it will explain what happened when you purchased your plan.

Regarding TIM: Their prepaid base plans (TIM calls them "Piani Base") are:
  • One Prime Go costs 0.49 € per week with the first 4 weeks after activation available for free. It also includes data-free access to the Serie A TIM app, free calls and SMS to a preferred number and 2 for 1 cinema tickets at 900 theatres all over Italy from Monday to Friday.
  • TIM Base New is their only tariff without a base rate and slightly higher domestic call and text rates.
So if you are not interested into their special promotional add-ons, it's better to stay with TIM Base New, as no weekly or mothly base rate is debited. Change in store already (for 7 €), on your online profile or by calling 40916 or 119.

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina