• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

Help Needed Orvieto stopover/day trip —where to park?

Ellesee

10+ Posts
Many here have suggested Orvieto as a good stopping point on the way to/from Rome. We are on our way to Fiumicino from Montepulciano on Fri, for our last night before an early flight Sat morning.

Where is best place to park for the day, for lunch and a walk around? How do the elevators and funicular work? Are they at every parking lot? I would like to avoid too many stairs/steep hill if possible. Are the lots safe to leave our luggage in the car (we will keep valuables with us).

Lunch recommendations?

Parcheggio Funicolare in Piazza della Pace in Orvieto Scalo is a large car park behind the railway station (so between the railway and the motorway) and is convenient for the Funicolare. I aimed to park there but in the end took a wrong turn and to rectify ended up in a side road in a residential area where there was a car park so parked there.
Can't help about safety. It's not a good idea to leave luggage in a parked car.

We found the best option was to return the car in Orvieto itself - enjoy a night there without the car and then take the train to the airport… it worked very well. Check if the drop of fee is exorbitant and if not then try to change.

I drove up and right at the end there are some paid parking, blue line spaces I believe.

Parcheggio Funicolare in Piazza della Pace in Orvieto Scalo is a large car park behind the railway station (so between the railway and the motorway) and is convenient for the Funicolare. I aimed to park there but in the end took a wrong turn and to rectify ended up in a side road in a residential area where there was a car park so parked there.
Can't help about safety. It's not a good idea to leave luggage in a parked car.
We found this parcheggio on google maps (not on Apple Maps interestingly), and parked for free without issue. We bought the funicular tickets at the shop next to the parking lot though you could also get them at the funicular entrance. We walked under the train tracks to get to the funicular station. A few minutes ride up the mountain and a quick shuttle bus dropped us in piazza del duomo. We walked back through town (downhill). The cathedral was spectacular and the town charming. A perfect last day in Italy.

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina