• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

Paris to London by train and ferry via Dieppe and Brighton

Travels of a life

I wanted to discover London differently than by plane or Eurostar, using more authentic means of transport.

So I chose an original train and ferry itinerary between Paris and London, with stops in Dieppe and Brighton.

This trip was just the beginning a journey that eventually took me from Paris to Ireland. Discover my story through a series of articles, of which this is the first.

Link to my article

There is no tunnel between Great Britain and Ireland. So, to avoid flying, you must take the train and a ferry. The most direct route is a train from London to Holyhead in 3 hours 40 minutes, followed by a 3-hour 15-minute ferry crossing.

I chose to go via Liverpool and Belfast and discover two cities I didn’t know.

Link to my article

The end of my "slow travel" journey was a true escape, easy to organize, and inspiring! The mini-cruises offered me dreamy moments, and the history of the Titanic, explored in Liverpool, Belfast, and Cherbourg, fascinated me.

I felt the atmospheres of the cities I visited: in Brighton, I loved the seaside ambiance; in London, I absorbed the strength of the Thames; and in Dublin, I immersed myself in the young and international atmosphere.

This journey also made me reflect, giving me a new perspective on emigration, which can be a source of pride. I also realized that tensions persist in Northern Ireland.

This final article recounts my return from Dublin to Paris, with an overnight ferry to Cherbourg and then by train back home to Paris.

Link to my article

I love this trip! We live in England and have taken three different ferries to France (Poole-St Malo, Poole-Cherbourg, Plymouth-Roscoff). That Dieppe-Newhaven route was a great idea. Plus the very long ride back from Dublin to Cherbourg! I think that route is one of our “Brexit Bonuses” because people want to travel staying in the EU and avoid going through the UK.

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina
Tuscan Traveler, Living in Italy by Ann Reavis

Back