• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

Paris?

VictoriaJZ

10+ Posts
Contest 2019 Winner!
We haven't been there for years, but just booked flights to France in May and while we will go out to the countryside most of the time, it'd be fun to come back and have 3-4 days in Paris. In the past we've usually stayed on the L bank and never had problems = but my husband is now 88 and I think going up flights will be an issue [1 might be ok] - and I want to avoid areas where it'll be congested, touristy or unsafe. Would appreciate thoughts on arrondissements or places to stay. Merci. Victoria

Knowing where you hope to go and what you hope to see in Paris will help with suggestions. Folks will say, "the Metro can get you anywhere." True. However, the last time my wife and I visited Paris she was on a half-healed ankle and using a cane. It seemed as if every metro station either had long stairways or great distances to walk between platforms. She found it difficult. Staying close to where you hope to go will likely make the trip more enjoyable for you and your husband.

The Metro is certainly difficult - or at least dispiriting - if you have mobility issues. You might want to check out the bus network as an alternative:
https://www.ratp.fr/en/plan-bus

Not sure what sort of hotel (and budget) you are thinking of, but my usual go-to is the Cosmos, between République and Parmentier, but for this purpose also well situated for buses. The 96 runs past the door down to the Gare Montparnasse, via the edge of the Marais and the Hôtel de Ville; the 46 to the Gare du Nord is round the corner. It's a workaday sort of neighbourhood, absolutely not touristy, but far from chic or swish, but with its complement of cafés and restaurants. That's why I like this side of Paris.

You might consider it a bit far out from the centre, depending on where you want to go: I come to it from the p.o v. of a Londoner, who's used to having to travel a bit to get anywhere. The hotel is a no-frills budget option, but it is comfortable and has a lift.

Last edited:
I am a photographer and both Mark and I enjoy history & cultural sights == I definitely want to go to/near Notre Dame [tho the National Geographic's recent article was wonderful - drone images too!] We have in the past enjoyed restaurants on Ile St. Louis [heavenly French onion soup and chocolate mousse!!] and just wandering around the shops and sights along the Seine = if we have to go a distance, honestly, we'll probably take a taxi -- And both of us can walk, as long as we can find cafes to sit at and enjoy some wine, we'll be just fine.

We are finalizing plans = we will be at Hotel Lutece on Ile St Louis == we'll walk places but I assume there are taxis and other options = I frankly don't enjoy either buses or metro = and at this point in our lives taking some sort of reliable vehicular transport would be preferable = would love any suggestions along that line. Merci!

We are finalizing plans = we will be at Hotel Lutece on Ile St Louis == we'll walk places but I assume there are taxis and other options = I frankly don't enjoy either buses or metro = and at this point in our lives taking some sort of reliable vehicular transport would be preferable = would love any suggestions along that line. Merci!
If you plan to use taxis, you may want to download the G7 app. It’s the easiest way to get a taxi without trying to find a stand.

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina