• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

Photo Hunt No. 6 - Festival/Celebration

Kathy (Trekcapri)

100+ Posts
This week’s Photo Hunt No. 6 Theme (Week of April 9) is: Festival/Celebration

There is a Photo Hunt 2017 category on the Media Gallery in case you want to put your photos in the media gallery first and then insert from there using the camera icon above the text box, into your post.

I enjoyed seeing everyone’s photos. It’s wonderful how our moments of peace and quiet can be very relaxing. A quiet early morning in St. Mark’s Square and a Lagoon in Venice, a hike in the mountains of Switzerland or on a dike with views of Mt. Baker, a floating leaf against a blue sky, a restful spot to nap, the beauty of a barren landscape and the wonderful signs to remind us.

Future Themes (If you have ideas for a future theme, feel free to share them HERE):
Photo Hunt No. 7 (Week of April 16) - Architecture
Photo Hunt No. 8 (Week of April 23) - Flower(s)
Photo Hunt No. 9 (Week of April 30) - Beach/Lake

While on my Camino de Santiago pilgrimage last year, I was so lucky to be in the town of Hospital de Orbigo on the weekend of their annual Festival Folclorico. Locals dressed in regional costumes paraded from the bridge then entered this plaza area where they performed traditional dances of the province. I felt so lucky to have walked into this town to witness this beautiful celebration.

Carnival
Paris, June 2015

IMG_2266.JPG

The annual Vogalonga Rowing Race in Venice, May 2015.
It's a hoot!
We were staying next door to the pink building at the right off the photo, so we just brought down our balcony chairs and sat on the canal side to watch all the fun!

IMG_0819.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
A member of the Valdimontone contrada, this young drummer boy waits for the call to march. With flags raised high and drums beating, they will head to the Siena Duomo as part of the celebration on the feast day of St. Catherine of Siena.

boydrummer.jpg

These photos are from the Fécos festival in Limoux, south of Carcassonne. It's a wild and crazy series of parades held every weekend during the Lenten season. There are different groups every weekend, but there is always the same prescribed order. First come the clowns, all wearing the same baggy costumes, but each with an individually crafted unique mask. Just behind them is the band playing lively music.

Limoux56.JPG

Bringing up the rear are the goudils, in weird, outrageous Halloween-style costumes.
Limoux31.JPG

They parade and dance around the square in the center of Limoux, teasing, taunting and throwing confetti at the spectators. It's all great fun!

Roz,

When in Limoux, I hope you enjoyed some Crémant de Limoux. One of my favorites when it comes to Sparkling Wines, and the price is much more reasonable than Champagne making it a little easier to swallow.

Love the pics! Did you participate or were just observer?

Absolutely on the wine, Colo. We were informed while there that the monks of Limoux produced the first sparkling wine ever -- predating Champagne. I think that was the Blanquette de Limoux; I'm not clear on the difference between the Blanquette and the Crémant; we had some of both. After we got back from the Languedoc, we actually found a Blanquette de Limoux at Trader Joe for under $10. Unfortunately it has long since disappeared from their shelves.

We didn't participate in the sense of actually being in the parade. But it's the kind of thing where all the spectators are drawn in. Apparently they often taunt the spectators with insults and you are supposed to reply in kind. Here's a photographic example:
Limoux38.JPG

Unfortunately my French is not good enough for that kind of repartee, but there was one woman who came up, stole my husband's hat and plopped it on my head, then showered us with confetti.

If you can get to Languedoc during Lent, try to schedule a stop in Limoux on either a Saturday or Sunday to see the Fécos. I don't think it's particularly well known by tourists; it seemed that most of the crowd was French. That is also a great time of year to visit Carcassonne before the hordes of tourists descend.

Blanquette – is the grape (The Little White one) better known outside Limoux as Mauzac Blanc

Blanquette de Limoux and Crémant de Limoux both use the méthode traditionelle to create the wonderful bubbles. The two sparkling wines vary in the amount of Blanquette which is required by law. Blanquette de Limoux has to be 90% Blanquette juice, while the Crémant only requires 60% and usually uses traditional Champagne grapes for blending. It is easier to find the Crémant outside of France, but the Blanquette de Limoux to me is the real deal for the region.

I always tell people that Crémant is a word made up by the Champagne Houses which means – yeah it sparkles, but it ain’t Champagne. I to have heard stories that sparkling wine is older in Limoux than other regions of France, but I do not know if they are factual.

The parade sure looks more fun than giving something up for lent. :)

Thanks for the info on Blanquette vs. Crémant, Colo. You are a fount of wine knowledge!

Photos from the Festival of Sant’ Erasmo in Santa Margherita Ligure. Sant' Erasmo is the patron saint, the protector of the fishermen. I was very fortunate to be invited out on one of the boats to participate in the procession at sea (processione in mare).

IMG_0949.JPG

IMG_0871.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
A big festival happens in Switzerland when they bring the cows down from the alpine pastures for the winter. This happens in September in several towns. We went to the festival in St Stephan, near Lenk. Each farm family dresses in traditional costume and brings their cows down. The cows have fancy "hats". The cow at the front of the group, with the biggest bell, was the best milker for the season.

full

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina