• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

Places you've stayed for a week or more

Shannon

100+ Posts
This was a thread on a different board, and I got a kick out of seeing where people had gone the "slow travel" way. Here's my list and I hope others will post theirs. Pauline had a lot to do with this fire getting started under my butt to begin with. Thanks for that Pauline :)

Venice
Paris
Florence
Budapest
Vienna
Bevagna, Italy
Taormina, Italy
Naples
Madrid
Girona, Spain
Grazalema, Spain
Oviedo, Spain
Rovinj, Croatia
Ljubljana, Slovenia
Berlin
Dublin
Stroud,UK
Painswick, UK
Beaune, France
St. Julians, Malta
Istanbul
Zaragoza, Spain

Places I want to add (that I haven't been to) to this list:
Zagreb
Hamburg
Lisbon
Edinburgh
San Sebastian, Spain

Places that I have been to, but want to go back to, for a week or longer:

London
Granada, Spain
Sibiu, Romania
Dijon
Lyon
Nice
Amsterdam

Oh and maybe Bruges, since I saw In Bruges I totally want to go back there for awhile.

Fun topic! Our first week-long vacation rental was in Paris back in 1994. We rented a studio apartment based on three tiny pictures in a catalog!

Here's my list of places where I've stayed a week or more:

Bad Aibling, Germany (lived here as a baby... does that count?)
Paris, France
Saignon, France
London, England
Mousehole, England
Bruton, England (Somerset)
Blockley, England
Birstwith, England (Yorkshire)
Foyers, Scotland (Loch Ness)
Inverkeithing, Scotland (near Edinburgh)
Créancey, France (Burgundy)
Turenne, France
Bonnieux, France
Oberammergau, Germany
Domaso, Italy (Lake Como)
Venice, Italy
Rome, Italy
Ravello, Italy
Chiusure, Italy (Tuscany)
Campello, Italy (Umbria)
St. Gilgen, Austria
Honfleur, France
Aix-en-Provence, France
Garmisch, Germany
Chipping Campden, England
Greve in Chianti, Italy
Dubrovnik, Croatia
Panzano in Chianti, Italy
Levanto, Italy
St. Cyprien, France
Montignac, France

We've been back to some of these places several times. We've now spent almost 100 weeks total in Bonnieux over 20+ stays. It's home. We're hoping to return for another extended stay in about two years.

Kathy

My list won't be nearly as long as some, but here goes

Boeblingen, Germany
Colmar, France
Paris
Rome
Pienza, Italy
Montrichard, France
Amsterdam
Lourmarin, France
Menerbes, France
Uzes, France
near Condom, France
near Meursault, France
Bedoin, France
London
Chipping Campden, England
Nice, France

Edited to add Sarlat, France

Last edited:
My list:

Birmingham, England
Leeds, England
London
Paris
Zakynthos, Greece
Kardamena, Kos, Greece
Florence
Bologna, Italy
near Montefalco, Italy
Montepulciano, Italy
Positano, Italy
Rome
Varenna, Italy
Verona, Italy
Barcelona

We visited Mousehole for the first time last summer on our Cornwall trip with Wendy and Richard. They met Kathy in Mousehole years ago and remember which cottage they rented. This photo is Steve and Richard outside the cottage Kathy rented. And Mousehole is a very nice town! We were all spending a week in Cornwall on the Lizard (the name of the penninsula) not far from Mousehole.

mousehole-5859.jpg

It's so much fun to look back:

London
Threshfield, Yorkshire, England
Broad Campden, Cotswolds, England
Lewes, Sussex, England
Foyers, Scotland
Panicale, Umbria, Italy
Panzano, Tuscany, Italy
Assisi, Italy
Rome, Italy
Florence, Italy
Pienza, Italy
Greve, Italy
Portland, OR
Boulder, CO
Santa Fe, NM
Montezuma, NM
Washington, DC
Richmond, VA

Wow, Mine isn't a long list either, but hopefully it will keep growing!

Rome, Italy
Florence, Italy
Venice, Italy
Cetona, Tuscany, Italy
Bishop's Falls, Newfoundland, Canada
Reydon, Suffolk, England
Paris, France
Vaison-la-Romaine, Provence, France
Nice, France

Places I've spent a few days, and would love to return to for a longer visit:
Sorrento, Italy
Budapest, Hungary
London, England
Barcelona, Spain

Is it pronounced Mouse Hole or is it one of those names that comes out like "muzzle" or something?
It's NOT pronounced MouseHole. It's more like "Mouzel." I loved Pauline's photo and we had a great week there. This discussion is definitely making me want to go back.

I'm enjoying all the lists... seems that many of us are drawn to the same places!

I was surprised by how long my list turned out to be - but I suppose we've been at it longer then most and, even as young impecunious marrieds back in the early 80s, France was only a short hop across the channel, and simple gîtes were very cheap (take your own bed linens in those days!).

France. Le Mont Dore (Auvergne), Plomeur (Brittany), Roncey (Normandy), Taugon (Poitou-Charentes), Cordebugle (Normandy), Pleyber-Christ, Pommerit-le-Vicomte (Brittany), Eguisheim (Alsace), Allineuc (Brittany), St-Rémy (Provence), Vézac (Dordogne), Les Saisies (Rhône-Alpes), Prouilhe (Languedoc), Lourmarin, Villefranche-sur-Mer.

Italy. Bevagna, Lucca, Perugia, Cagliari, Sciacca, Praiano, Ostuni, Compatsch (Seiseralm).

Others. Denpasar, Ubud (Bali). Leutasch, Pertisau, Mösern (Austria). Yllas (Finland). Albufeira, Olhos de Agua, Guimarāes (Portugal). Milina, Chania (Greece). San Francisco (USA).

Paris (multiple week+ trips)
Antibes (multiple trips)
Aix-en-Provence
Vaison-la-Romaine
Mougins, France

London (multiple)

Rome (multiple)
Sorrento, Italy
Florence (multiple)

Seville, Spain

Not sure whether to include these since this is Slow Europe:

Athens
Heraklion (Crete)

Leningrad (1974 when it was still the USSR and that's why I didn't write St Pete)
Moscow (1974)
Helsinki (1974)

Nice idea — it’s fun to look back and reminisce.

Here are the places we’ve slow traveled so far. (If we’ve stayed more than a week on separate trips, I put the number of trips in parens.)

FRANCE
Paris (3)
Nice (2)
Coeur de France Ecole de Langues, Sancerre (2)
Aix-en-Provence
Monpazier
Frayssinet-le-Gelat, Lot region
Marseillan
Bezenac, Dordogne
Vers Pont du Gard
Couiza, Languedoc

ITALY
Perdifumo, Campania
Ostuni, Puglia
Castiglioncello, Tuscany
Bucine, Tuscany
Sarzana, Liguria
Bologna
Venice

FUTURE TRIPS:
2 weeks in Montepulciano this spring.

Somewhere in Provence - maybe the Luberon, or maybe another part. We’ve been there before, but not for more than 5 days at a stretch.

We’ll go back to Paris forever, and also to the Cote d’Azur. We love Nice and might go back there again, but maybe Antibes or another smaller town on the next trip.

Besides smaller trips, I stay 1 week to 10 days in 3 destinations at different tiems of the year every year. The list is too long. Therefore I will only cite those places not mentioned by othersMenton, FranceSaignon, France (in the Luberon)Goult, France (Luberon)St Jean de Luz/Ciboure, Basque country (French side)Sare Basque country (French side)San Sebastian, Basque country (Spanish side)Jaujac, France (Ardèche region)Collioure, France St Cirq Lapopie (the Lot-Célé river region, France)Bouziès, The Lot-Célé river region (the Lot-Célé river region, France)Marcillac sur Célé (the Lot-Célé river region, France)(It is a region to which I return nearly every year.)La Ville es Nonais, France (northern Brittany, by the Rance river)ViennaHong KongShanghaiBeijing

Fun topic. I have a short but hopefully growing list! :)

Venice, Italy
Seville, Spain
Edinburgh, Scotland
Paris, France
Amsterdam, Netherlands
Berlin, Germany
Praiano, Italy

And not Europe, but I'm including so my list is a little longer. :D
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Ollantaytambo, Peru

Wish List for future 1 weeks Slow Stays:
Venice (Always), London, UK (have been three times, but never for more than 4 days), Spain (always), South America (somewhere new), Asia (not sure where yet), Amalfi Coast (Any where in Italy), France (would like to try somewhere new).

My list will probably be the shortest one here, but in my own defense I have to say that part of the reason is that we just MOVED to Umbria, Italy and stayed for SEVEN YEARS! Other than that, we have managed a few week-long stays:

• Paris
  • Emilia-Romagna
  • Puglia
I guess that's all! On my list for extended stays: Umbria (this summer for 3 weeks), London, NYC.

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina