• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

Plans for Lyon and the area south of there

VictoriaJZ

10+ Posts
Contest 2019 Winner!
We fly to Lyon 4/21 for about 12 days and my plan is to find a place in the city [Vieux Lyon] or Arr.2 so we don't have to walk far or can take a cab to get around - my husband is 91 and while he can walk and go up steps it isn't easy for him so we'll just saunter along. My thought is to spend 5-7 days in Lyon itself and then the last 4-5 in a hotel close to the airport. While I don't think we want a car in Lyon, we could rent a car and perhaps drive around the countryside or cities and towns south of Lyon while 'out' there - our flight out from LYS leaves at 7am so that's another reason to stay closer to the airport.

Would appreciate thoughts on this idea or suggestions. There are some hotels right at the airport [Moxy etc] which might be fine - or we could even lodge a bit away but close enough to get to wherever we drop the car and then get to our flight [United to Brussels] the next morning.

I would recommend staying in Presqu'ile i(Arr. 2 ) rather than Vieux Lyon. The streets are wider and less uneven and less crowded. You will be between the two rivers, each of which has its own character. And you can easily get where else want to go from there by walking, cab, metro or bus, whichever you prefer. We stayed not too far from Cordeliers (between Cordeliers and Bellecour).

If you are prepared to hire a car, the small village of Cremieu is only about 20 kms from the airport. you could then get out into the countryside from there. We have visited but not stayed there and I do not know what is in the area. We stayed at the IBIS at the airport on a first night and went to Cremieu to fill in some time.

Cremieu is quite attractive. and I forgot to mention the lovely village of Perouges. The unusual Palais Ideal de Facteur Cheval is about 70 kms away if you wanted to go a little further afield for a couple of nights and back to Cremieu for the last night. Also the village of St Antoine L'Abbaye.

We often fly into or out of Lyon airport. This is where we always stay. It is about 10 minutes by car from Lyon airport.
Its name - Du Gout et des Couleurs - is a mild joke: "(There's no debating) taste and colours"

There are a few good restaurants in the vicinity, including a Michelin 1 star.
They do an excellent breakfast; the rooms and baths are very stylish. There is a spacious lounge and garden area. Parking is easy and secure.
The owners are on-site and live in an adjacent building but this is NOT a full-service hotel. You have a door code to enter the building and will find keys to your room on the front console table.
If you decide you're interested, book either Louise-Anne or Henriette, which are 1 floor up. They share a huge roof-terrace, which (oddly) doesn't get used much. The other rooms are on the top floor. While those rooms are fine, your husband would not want to climb those steep stairs to the attic floor

Last edited:
We often fly into or out of Lyon airport. This is where we always stay. It is about 10 minutes by car from Lyon airport.
Its name - Du Gout et des Couleurs - is a mild joke: "(There's no debating) taste and colours"

thanks for the suggestion = looks good but I don't think Mark could handle even the one flight up-- but we can at least look into enjoying the cafes and restaurants in the area.

We were able to move our leaving back to a better time - so now we can find lodging outside Lyon & the airport == my husband is 91 and has issues with climbing stairs so we may just stick with a hotel or some place where he doesn't have to go up stairs -- searching now = somewhere possibly E of the airport in some small town. [the Chambres looked wonderful but even 1 flight up would be an issue]. Again many thanks!

We love Lyon and also.suggest staying in the Presque Isle. There are VRBOs and a hotel.we use, Hotel Des Artiste is across the street from Theatre Celistin. Access to the vieux village is easy by a foot bridge over to the Palais du Justice. the hotel is a 100 meters from the Soane River.South of Lyon in Vienne are the remains of a Roman Village and a Gallo Roman theater. Vienne is accessible by train. Have Fun

Thank you = we did find a hotel [Hotel de Verdun 1882] which seemed well situated = also found out there are pedi-cabs and we could do some touring in that fashion - we are staying 6 days in Lyon which should be enough to see the city and perhaps train elsewhere for a day [hadn't known that about Vienne and that seems right our alley!] - then 4 out about 30 min from the airport and to be able to drive around and see small towns etc. Really looking forward to the visit.

Thank you = we did find a hotel [Hotel de Verdun 1882] which seemed well situated = also found out there are pedi-cabs and we could do some touring in that fashion - we are staying 6 days in Lyon which should be enough to see the city and perhaps train elsewhere for a day [hadn't known that about Vienne and that seems right our alley!] - then 4 out about 30 min from the airport and to be able to drive around and see small towns etc. Really looking forward to the visit.
You'll have a woderful.time with the old Lyon and the Gallo Roman Museum, the Beaux Artes (petite Louvre) and across the street the Opera House where you can enjoy a cocktail in the evening and take in the view! We really love Lyon!

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina