• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

Help Needed Positano - early September or early October?

Mom83

100+ Posts
Friends of ours want us to join them for several days in Positano this Fall. They are looking at early September...we would prefer to go in early October. The last time we spent a week in Positano, it was the 3rd week of March...we loved it then as the weather was cooler and the crowds were much less. We are not beach people, so no need for beach temps. We usually go to Italy in October or late March/early April...we have never been in early September so not really sure what we would incur as far as temps and crowds..I am thinking still pretty warm/hot and still pretty crowded.
Does anyone know if the ferries still run from Positano to Capri the first 10 days of October? I looked at the ferry websites and it seems as if they do. When we were there in late March, we had to drive to Sorrento and ferry across to Capri from there.
Any imput from those of you who go to the Amalfi Coast more regularly will be greatly appreciated.

September or October are both excellent choices and I believe the ferries are still running then. September might have the odd hot (but not baking) day, but October weather usually very good and comfortably warm.

Thanks, Ian...good to know! Our friends have finally decided that they need to go in September when we are unable to go....my husband’s law firm’s year-end is 9/30 and he cannot be away that month. I am sad as I was hoping for a return visit...ah, well, another time.

I think you are smarting holding out for early October even if it means going another time. I was there in late May, and even then, the crowds were getting overwhelming.

We were in Positano for four nights in early October (9-13) of 2017 and enjoyed it very much! Gorgeous weather! There were a lot of other people but as it was our only time there I don't know how it compared to the high/low season. We always got seats on the little town bus, though it was very, very crowded at sites like Capri and Ravello and down in the main touristy part of Positano. But we had no trouble getting ferries to Capri and Amalfi.

I have a post here about the trip if you want more details and photos from our time, though you'll have to scroll to the bottom to see the Amalfi coast section (that was at the end of a longer trip): https://www.sloweurope.com/community/threads/venice-rome-positano.2664/#post-18125

I loved it and would go back at that time of year again in a heartbeat! I hope you have a wonderful trip!

The trip is not in the cards for us this year, as our daughter is expecting our first grandchild in October. But, next year for sure. I love October in Italy!

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina