• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

Provence Provence (Luberon), Saint Saturnin-les-Apts, Le Mas Perreal, apartments and B&B

Pauline

Forums Admin
Le Mas Perreal: www.masperreal.com
Saint Saturnin-les-Apts in the Luberon, Provence
September 2019, one week
Country estate with 3 B&B rooms, 2 apartments (studio, 1 bedroom).
Highly recommended.

Le Mas Perreal is a large estate below Saint Saturnin-les-Apts in the Luberon Valley, near Apt. It is B&B (3 rooms) and apartments (2) and is run by Kevin and Elizabeth Widrow. Many of us know Kevin from his years on the SlowTrav forums and the great articles that he wrote.

I won 3 nights at Le Mas Perreal in the Savannah GTG (a drawing) and put off claiming them because I don't like B&Bs, preferring to do our own cooking. I heard that Kevin had turned two B&B rooms into small apartments so I booked. I have visited Le Mas Perreal once before, in 2004, when we were staying in Goult, and had always wanted to stay there.

Le Mas Perreal is beautiful! The rambling old house is surrounded by fields of grapes (when we first visited there were cherry trees, but they turned those fields into vineyards) with views towards the town of Saint Saturnin perched on the edge of the Vaucluse hills. It is quiet and peaceful.

The rooms and apartments are in a 2-storey wing of the building and their home is in the other wing. Our apartment was on the upper floor, beside one of the rooms. The other rooms and apartment are on the other side of the building. We were traveling with a friend and she stayed in the room beside us. Our apartment had a small balcony on the south-facing side which was perfect for breakfast. Dana's room came with a terrace on the north-facing side, where our doors are, and we used that for dinner.

The apartment is small by apartment standards but was roomy enough. One large room is the bedroom and sitting area (no sofa but a table and chairs and another bigger chair). Off that room is the kitchen with a small table and chairs which we never used - we always ate outside. The kitchen was well enough equipped and we had all our dinners there except for one night when we went out. I tend to cook more on vacation than your average Slow Traveler. There are many restaurants in the area. Saint Saturnin is 20 minutes away walking or just a few minutes by car. We drove in one night for dinner and I drove in one morning for fresh croissants. Parking in town is easy.

The bathroom is large with a really good shower.

The room is beautifully decorated, bed comfortable, lots of places to put your clothes. The house book tells you all about Saint Saturnin with restaurant lists and hiking lists. Kevin is easily found if you have questions. There is a large living room used by both rooms and apartments. The outside area is lovely with loungers and chairs under the trees and around the pool. We were there during a hot week and I went swimming twice. The pool is very nice!

The other apartment is a studio and I did not see inside, but it has a really nice outdoor area and is on the ground level.

There is something special about this place. We both slept very well. I think it was the quiet at night and the strong, wonderful sun during the day.

We walked into Saint Saturnin a couple of times. There is a small grocery and an excellent bakery. There are a few restaurants and a good cafe. You walk in on lanes, paths and quiet streets. Kevin has directions in the house book. Saint Saturnin is a very nice town. It is not a big tourist draw, so parking is easy and it is not crowded the way some towns are (Gordes and Roussillon are very crowded). There is a very good natural foods shop nearby, outside of Apt - Luberon Bio. Also a LeClerc supermarket outside Apt.

The location is good and all the main Luberon sights are a short drive away. We had a great week there! Highly recommended.

mas-perreal-4788.jpg

View of Le Mas Perrael from the east. The part of the building closest is the rooms and apartments.

luberon-6786.jpg

Another view through the vineyard.

luberon-6779.jpg

The pool on the left, driveway on the right.

luberon-0512.jpg

Closest door is to apartment, other to the B&B room. Photo taken standing on terrace used by the room.

luberon-0554.jpg

Private terrace for the apartment, off the main room. Gets good morning sun.

luberon-0557.jpg

Kitchen has nespresso machine, portable 2-burner cooktop, toaster, microwave/oven, small fridge.

mas-perreal-0556.jpg

Not a great photo but you can see the lovely wall color in the main room.

luberon-6784.jpg

Bakery and grocery shop in Saint Saturnin.

mas-perreal-0537.jpg

Pauline and Kevin. We went for a hike along a canal near Fontaine de Vaucluse.

Thank you for your review, Pauline. Tom and I are eagerly awaiting our stay next May which we won in the Slow Europe contest.

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina